marine ply

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

disco_monkey79

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

Do any of the likes of Wickes sell marine ply?

I only need a little bit, and delivery of a huge sheet (that I don't want!) is expensive.

Or is the glue in their hardwood ply waterproof?

Thanks

no they dont sell it, I struggled to find it locally in Leeds but did find some in the end.

That's a pity, but thanks for confirming.

Anyone used regular ply in a bathroom?

I want to tile on top of a bit to fill the horizontal gap between the end of the bath and the wall, and paint a bit to go vertically in the same place (If that made sense). Will the inevitable steam/moisture make regular ply delaminate?

also be careful when you do buy it because may people use "marine" as a generic term for exterior ply. A couple of general merchants that I tried lclaimed to have some but after asking a few questions it was just exterior ply

When I purchased plywood last week the timber merchant said marine and exterior use the same glue. Where are you located Disco-monkey? I will have several offcuts of marine ply 9 and 18m which you could have if convenient.

Thanks all.

Silfi - I'm in Kent, so about as far from you as can be, without getting wet feet! But I very much appreciate the thought.

I should be able to find some structural ply without any bother.

Thanks again

Real Lloyds certified marine ply is eye wateringly expensive, but it really does last.
However, I‘d vote for a bit of cement board for that aplication. You can immerse it and it wont warp or loose strength. Wickes sell aquapanel in small sheets that will go in the car.

If it's only a gap filler a piece of UPVC facia board would do the job. comes in a couple of thicknesses. No problem with moisture!

When I purchased plywood last week the timber merchant said marine and exterior use the same glue. Where are you located Disco-monkey? I will have several offcuts of marine ply 9 and 18m which you could have if convenient.
I have just seen the reply by Silfi your timber merchant was correct Quote Marine Grade, Embodies the same WBP adhesive as for exterior grade. The difference lies in the higher standard of perfection required in the veneers (BSS 10889). Unquote From memory i think there is approx about eight different grades it also important to seal the edges as alternative layers are end grain where moisture can enter and rot the timber causing delamination regardless of which adhesive is used. Also being an old person i don't think we should be lowering our standards by name calling
Schnapps 95

I have just seen the reply by Silfi your timber merchant was correct Quote Marine Grade, Embodies the same WBP adhesive as for exterior grade. The difference lies in the higher standard of perfection required in the veneers (BSS 10889). Unquote From memory i think there is approx about eight different grades it also important to seal the edges as alternative layers are end grain where moisture can enter and rot the timber causing delamination regardless of which adhesive is used. Also being an old person i don't think we should be lowering our standards by name calling
Schnapps 95
Hi. My son has just imformed me i owe Silfi an apology i had'nt realised it was a persons identity so to Silfi i offer my sincere apologises and hope i hav'nt offended you.
Kind regards Schnapps 95 (going senile ?)

Back