Marcros new Norris but sadly in Isle of Wight

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Never used a Norris, maintained /built a boat or even visited the IOW so take the following with a massive pinch of salt.

I would have thunked that due to all the boat building / maintenance that goes on today and historically that the IOW probably has more old Norris's knocking about per square mile than anywhere else in the world.

Just a thought, please don't shoot me.

I can't understand why sellers won't ship stuff. It's so easy and need not be very expensive - anyway the buyer foots the bill.

They really limit their market, and hence the price they get, by insisting on "collection only".

Maybe he's been stung before, he offers shipping on his other items.

High ticket items and shipping must be a nightmare, what happens if the buyer says the box was empty/ contained a brick ?

Mr_P":11x6ocnl said:
Maybe he's been stung before, he offers shipping on his other items.

High ticket items and shipping must be a nightmare, what happens if the buyer says the box was empty/ contained a brick ?

Edit:

Its sold

I suspect that it would cause issues- the brick. You can guarantee that any item was sent in perfect condition and there will be a signature confirming delivery- may be a long drawn out process.

Ok, I will confess now that I have just closed the deal.

I have just spent the money that I was going to use for a palm router on Monday on the aforementioned norris. I had fancied an infill smoother for a while but not a full refurb project- norris had always been way out of budget.

So this little baby, I am assuming is a post war, beech infilled A5. Correct or otherwise?

marcros":3f6wk8ww said:
Ok, I will confess now that I have just closed the deal.

I have just spent the money that I was going to use for a palm router on Monday on the aforementioned norris. I had fancied an infill smoother for a while but not a full refurb project- norris had always been way out of budget.

So this little baby, I am assuming is a post war, beech infilled A5. Correct or otherwise?

Looks like it,

http://www.norrisplanes.com/norris-numb ... ing-plane/

and all the horrible black stuff has gone but the iron looks like new :?

The iron alone is worth about £60, so I'm very glad a forum member has grabbed this bargain but was expecting one nearer to the seller than nearer to me.

Keep saying I'll treat myself for my 40th (less than a year to go eeek) but less sure after handling one at David Stanley, maybe I need to try one in the flesh (hint , hint).

When I get it we will have to have a meet up. Hopefully there will be a bash before your 40th so you can try a few different things that people have. I do fear this might be a slippery slope...!

Thanks Marcross,

Just ordered a new thicker iron for my Scottish infill so it will be great to get them together in a few months time and do a comparison. Scotland vs London meeting in the middle, who will win ? Only time will tell.

It's nice to see a Norris going for a sensible price for once and to a man of this parish too!!! =D>

Most excellent!

Mr P...I think you will find that is a marriage made in heaven. In fact...the Norris iron works superbly in my Slater....and after all...if the bed is good and the sole flat...the bit that's important is only the edge!

I look forward to seeing both in action soon!

Jimi

When I was a lad in my boat-yard half the joiners had either Spiers or Norris planes, some were hand-me downs from their Fathers who had worked in the yard before them. Boat builders seemed to favour Record and Stanley products, can't think if there was any reason for that. But with the once thriving marine industry there should be a few about over here, but the dealers who prowl the boot sales before I am awake, and advertise constantly for such tools probably menan that I will not get my hands on one. The days of 22 moulding planes for £1 in a jumble I think have gone :(

G

If it helps, the IOW is just over the pond from me, I could pick it up for you and post it if required. Just holla me.

Much appreciated. He was fine about shipping it. £11 something for 48 hour Royal Mail and a signature. Like I say though the offer is very good of you.

Back