March 2012 Challenge disscusion thread ( A Tazza )

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
last month engineering , this month baking! :wink:

must the tazza be made from three pieces? no combined foot/ stem combo or similar?

and must the cake be edible? :twisted:

nev":2ild4yhu said:
last month engineering , this month baking! :wink:

must the tazza be made from three pieces? no combined foot/ stem combo or similar?

and must the cake be edible? :twisted:

Yes please 3 pieces as this then gives a combination of faceplate / chuck turning and spindle work together

And yes please a real cake :mrgreen:

If you dont eat cake I can PM you my address :lol: :lol: :lol: :p :p :p

Can we glue bits together before turning them? For example a couple of pieces to create sufficient thickness to turn the upright from? Taking this a little further, can we inlay contrasting woods rather than paint, stain or burn the poor thing :)

Can Wheaten or Brown bread be used instead of a cake because that is what the cookery class in my area is doing this month. :roll: :oops: Will hold off booking in 'till I get an answer :oops: :oops: .Will have to buy an apron as well and a white hat. Might be as well if you said No.

jumps":34ufk5jl said:
Can we glue bits together before turning them? For example a couple of pieces to create sufficient thickness to turn the upright from? Taking this a little further, can we inlay contrasting woods rather than paint, stain or burn the poor thing :)

If we allow multiple pieces of wood to be used it could continue on to the top and the base and we could end up with segmented work with 50 or 60 pieces

It then becomes more of a carpentry challenge involving planers . thicknessers , chop saws etc

so as it is a turning challenge the base stem and top need to be from one piece of wood each item

Yes if you want to include inlay as decoration you can :wink:

boysie39":207nytlp said:
Can Wheaten or Brown bread be used instead of a cake because that is what the cookery class in my area is doing this month. :roll: :oops: Will hold off booking in 'till I get an answer :oops: :oops: .Will have to buy an apron as well and a white hat. Might be as well if you said No.

Cake only please , home made or shop purchased ( this shows if its fit for purpose )

Blister":1ju02c0n said:
jumps":1ju02c0n said:

If we allow multiple pieces of wood to be used it could continue on to the top and the base and we could end up with segmented work with 50 or 60 pieces

It then becomes more of a carpentry challenge involving planers . thicknessers , chop saws etc

so as it is a turning challenge the base stem and top need to be from one piece of wood each item

Yes if you want to include inlay as decoration you can :wink:

thanks for the clarity

With respect to the cake, I am (not) assuming the following:-

The cake must be made in 3 components ( Base / middle gooey bit / Top )

Must be no more than 8 inches high , any diameter

Any cake type

All components are to be oven baked and made of cake ,

You are not allowed to use glue for the assembly of your cake after photos have been taken

Colouring / icing / burning (!!) / piercing allowed

Any entry's that are outside the rules and requirements will not be judged

Paul’s Criteria:
It has to be fit for eating and scrumptious as it will be food
I don't mind if people want to use decoration but form, function and finish will be top of my list when judging.

The Judges decision is final ( Any negative comments re judging must be via PM only and not on the open forum )

NO Critique or comments on any work until April Please, After the Judging and results.

Please state cake type if known, dimensions and a little about how you made it and what tools and finish you used ( this helps the judge )

Would this be correct?? :twisted: :twisted:

Mike

I have an issue. My lathe only takes upto 6" blanks and unless I have a flat top (no sides) I would need a 5" cake and as these are not really available the stand will not be fit for purpose. Well a 6" cake stand isn't really a cake stand, its a cup cake stand.

Hudson Carpentry":3lfv0ped said:
I have an issue. My lathe only takes upto 6" blanks and unless I have a flat top (no sides) I would need a 5" cake and as these are not really available the stand will not be fit for purpose. Well a 6" cake stand isn't really a cake stand, its a cup cake stand.

One word. Proportionality

Have you ever looked at dolls house models? Perfect in every way except one twelfth the scale.

If all proportions are right - including the cake - which then can be a cup cake no-one will be none the wiser. We have a cake tin which is 6" so if you can do a 6" blank you're sorted.

I am sure you will be able to sort it.

Wood spoiler":1m23jmiq said:
Hudson Carpentry":1m23jmiq said:

One word. Proportionality

Have you ever looked at dolls house models? Perfect in every way except one twelfth the scale.

If all proportions are right - including the cake - which then can be a cup cake no-one will be none the wiser. We have a cake tin which is 6" so if you can do a 6" blank you're sorted.

I am sure you will be able to sort it.

Yes my first thought was to make it to a scale but with it needing to be fit for purpose and still be a Tazza I don't see how a 6" top will be fit for purpose and classed as a tazza plus for it to be a proper tazza don't it need to have a side of some sort (cup or bowel type shape) meaning a 6" cake wouldn't fit on it???

Jeez, this is getting out of hand altogether, here are you members discussing how to make a bloody Tazza and me up to me oxters in flour trying to make a two layer cake :shock: .
I mean how is a bloke going to be able to get the main part right if youse keep butting in with questions about a feckin Tazza. :x :x
PS Paul which do you prefer Jam or Cream :wink: :wink:

I suppose a Tazza Tazza is out of the question?

Cakestandfin.jpg

Well, it could be a BLEEDIN GREAT doughnut in there?

serious question - Is Le Judge expecting the platter part to be flat (so you can slice and slide cake slice off) or is a lip allowed?
I've never used/ seen/ made one before and there seem to many variations.

Nev

The design is up to you

Paul did say this in his PM to me re the criteria

" Perhaps it's worth emphasising the cake stand part as some tazzas I've seen were effectively an elevated fruit bowl - which wouldn't be practical for use as a cake stand "

:wink:

Blister":3s6145et said:
Nev

The design is up to you

Paul did say this in his PM to me re the criteria

" Perhaps it's worth emphasising the cake stand part as some tazzas I've seen were effectively an elevated fruit bowl - which wouldn't be practical for use as a cake stand "

:wink:

Perfect which means I can use a flat top. Its not technically a Tazza if its not a bowl or cup top though which is why I was questioning.

As for the cake. My other half has a cake making business \:D/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back