March 2012 Challenge disscusion thread ( A Tazza )

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
boysie39":39samml1 said:
Jeez, this is getting out of hand altogether, here are you members discussing how to make a bloody Tazza and me up to me oxters in flour trying to make a two layer cake :shock: .
I mean how is a bloke going to be able to get the main part right if youse keep butting in with questions about a feckin Tazza. :x :x
PS Paul which do you prefer Jam or Cream :wink: :wink:

Excellent, Boysie - It's the way you tell 'em! =D> =D>

Cake design aside, the wood for my piece arrived today, design in my head and on paper and a day off tomorrow so with a bit of luck I can get cracking. A big thumbs up to Turners Retreat by the way as I ordered the blanks on Sunday afternoon and they were on my desk by lunchtime today, I don't normally like ordering blanks off the net as I like to see them first but I have to say I am very happy with what was sent so credit where credits due.

Steve

The rules say 'Colouring / texturing / burning / piercing allowed' - is carving allowed? You could, I guess say that carving is just a strict form of texturing :D

duncanh":3f8gfgcn said:
The rules say 'Colouring / texturing / burning / piercing allowed' - is carving allowed? You could, I guess say that carving is just a strict form of texturing :D

Yes it is :wink:

nev":3tujrqab said:
(homer) woo hoo!
Tazza done, now just got the cake challenge to try :)
Me too

But the big problem is .....

To Doiley or not to Doiley that then is the question.

Now off to cut the crusts off my cucumber sandwiches!

Finally got time to start on the tazza today.
Hopefully have it finished by the end of the week. :)

The best part of doing this challenge is that the tazza already has a new home to go and live in once it's done as well. :-D

Would an Apple tart count as OK ?? I keep eating the cream cakes , I've put on a stone weight and not a bleddy cake in sight.
Thiis is a holiday weekend over here and no flour delieverys til Wednesday getin tight on time .
Beggining to look at cow pats now with a good dollop of cream who's to know the differance unless Blister wants to taste oh well !!

Just finished the turning part, now for the cake. Was thinking of a suitable one when someone suggested a 'fruit cake', cant quite work out whether they were being helpful or suggesting I'm not quite the full shilling. :lol: :lol:

Anyway will wait until I have the cake before I take the photo's and mark as finished and ready.

I enjoyed this months challenge and have actually made two, the first one wasnt quite right so fiddled with the dimensions and am now reasonably happy. (one day I'll make something I'm totally happy with - OK maybe not as we all seem to think we can do better dont we)

Steve

Bad news for me - need to withdraw completely from the 2012 challenge.
The wrist has gone again, and it'll be a while before I'm turning properly again. :-(
All because the chisel caught a bleeding knot in the wood. Grrrrrrrrrrr.

Good luck to everyone for the rest of the challenges.

Thanks Blister.
Was almost finished the stem for the tazza, and the gouge hit a knot in the wood.
Something popped in the wrist, and now it's up in a huge lump with the strength of a wet paper towel. lol
Can't get it x-rayed for another week yet cos they want the swelling to go down a bit first, but they reckon the bone has gone again. :-(

now what counts as a hygenic food friendly finish, wax, varnish, french polish? plain vegetable oil would end up going mouldy surely?

nev":2q3ln6k3 said:
Wildman":2q3ln6k3 said:
now what counts as a hygenic food friendly finish, wax, varnish, french polish? plain vegetable oil would end up going mouldy surely?

I asked a similar question post668754.html?hilit=food%20safe#p668754 and i have plumped for a shellac finish. and a doiley.

I use WoodDoc 20 ,they have certs for food safety ,pretty good stuff too . I think Phil Irons is the agent on your side .

gerrybhoy70":3gf9d72b said:
Bad news for me - need to withdraw completely from the 2012 challenge.
The wrist has gone again, and it'll be a while before I'm turning properly again. :-(
All because the chisel caught a bleeding knot in the wood. Grrrrrrrrrrr.

Good luck to everyone for the rest of the challenges.
Bit of a Bummer that Gerry , Nev will probley put up a thread for the turner who turns with his feet . :lol:
I hope it may not be as bad as the first one , Best of luck .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back