March 2012 Challenge A Tazza ( The Results )

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blister

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hi everyone

I must say I thought this months entry's were excellent

so many variations

so may different types and styles

So many different finishes

They all look lovely and from what was said they all went down a treat

O and the cake stands were good as well :mrgreen:

Here are Paul's results

Here's the results for the tazza challenge.

1st and 6 points duncanh - Nice shapes for each component and everything looks well proportioned. Even without the carving I would still have picked this one.
2nd and 5 points nev - Nicely turned and well balanced
3 and 4 points steadyeddie - Good curves on the stem
4 and 3 points Highly commended , Alli - An interesting design for the stem. It looked like it all fitted together well
5 and 2 points Highly commended , Wood spoiler - Good idea with the scalloped edge. Good shape for the foot.

General - Some of the entries looked like the foot was a little on the small side for stability but that's only a minor point.
All those who had a go are to be commended for their efforts.

Once again I would like to thanks everyone for supporting the challenge and I hope you all enjoyed it :mrgreen:

Congratulations to everyone and especially to the top five, some really good entries this month and one I enjoyed making, going to be pushed next month as I'm away for most of it but will do my best to complete an entry. Many thanks to Paul for the judging and getting the results out quickly again. =D> =D>

Steve

Well done to the top 5 and congrats to all who entered.

I had 4 of the top five correct and 6 fighting for the final place .

So I am pleased with my selections a very highly contested challenge .
Thanks to Paul and all who work behiind the scenes

Roll on April .

Well done to Duncan =D> a worthy winner, and another tough choice for the judge methinks.
pleasantly surprised :oops: to get a second podium in as many months, thanks Paul.
congrats to all who took part and I think a special prize should go to Dennis for 'The best named wood in the challenge' for wormy butternut and quilted maple! superb :)

Congratulations Duncan, well deserved. As for me, well to say I'm chuffed to bits would be an understatement. A pleasant surprise indeed :eek:
Well done to everyone else who took part, some really nice work on show. Thanks to Paul for judging - another tough one!
I'm off to buy another cake now, to celebrate :wink:

Dave

Well done all you winners. Some really elegant pieces there!
Sadly, mine didn`t make it to the photography stage, never mind the judging stage :(

Ian

Is'nt it great to have someone else to blame for not being in the top 5 :?:

I know my Tazza would have won on merit , but that damn cake ruined me chances :mrgreen:

This is another post I have to eat and destroy before it gets into the wrong hands :roll: :roll: .

Well done to all, not sure how I got to 4th place I'm still gob smacked! I was hoping I would get to the end of the year with 12 points, which would of meant I had tried to turn 12 different projects which I probably wouldn't of thought of trying.

Thank you to the orginisers and judges of these competitions, very enjoyable.

Was there a side competition for the best cake???? Hudson's kitkat and smartie cake had my first place vote :lol: :lol:

Cheers David

Can I just say how disappointed I am with the judging this month. :lol:

The judgement on the consumables was miles out. Clearly and deliciously in the lead was obviously Jumps. That chocolate cake looked irresistible. Close second, obviously because of the choc again should have been Woodntings.
3. Tudormaker
4. Haldane
5. Woodspoiler (would have been higher but he ate some of the cake)
6. Alli. (Probably my real first choice but as he had some and I don't........)

I suspect some people just didn't take this seriously enough. I thought that hot cross buns and bits of kit-kat were a bit of a cop out. Nice to see some serious baking though - I can still almost taste that coffee and walnut dammit.

:-({|= :-({|= Is this IT is this the end for me :!: :!:

Me Tazza garnered me a point in the challenge and of cource I was dissapointed not to have won or to have got some kind of a mention ,but there was a great selection of entries and I can accept that. :cry:

But for someone to come along and judge the cakes and relegate me beautiful "Cowpatt A Le Creme" with the fruit dressing and Victorian doiily down among the hotcross buns and pieces of kit kat is the last straw .

THANK YOU VERY MUCH . :twisted: SIR !!!

boysie39":3ldtcfxn said:
:-({|= :-({|= Is this IT is this the end for me :!: :!:

Me Tazza garnered me a point in the challenge and of cource I was dissapointed not to have won or to have got some kind of a mention ,but there was a great selection of entries and I can accept that. :cry:

But for someone to come along and judge the cakes and relegate me beautiful "Cowpatt A Le Creme" with the fruit dressing and Victorian doiily down among the hotcross buns and pieces of kit kat is the last straw .

THANK YOU VERY MUCH . :twisted: SIR !!!

Oh dear,

So sorry to have upset you, how could I have missed your culinary genius. I think it was probably the doily that did it - took me back rather too far into the past. I didn't know anyone still used them, I know they were common when I was a kid but that was 60 years ago. I'm 65 tomorrow and in theory, am retiring. I'll try and use my new leisure time to make recompense and try and be nice to EVERYONE.

Well I'll try. 8)

Wellll ok then but only because it's your birthday , you young fellas have a lot to learn .

Have a great day tomorrow Gordon :eek:ccasion4: :eek:ccasion4: and many more ,

That was good news to come home to :D
Thanks to Paul for picking mine and well done to everyone else who entered.
I'd never considered making a tazza before but after this one I may make a few more.
Now on to candle sticks...

come on guys does no one recognise the tesco iced doughnuts, never a kit kat, hee hee I was in hospital most of the month so just had to use what was to hand and remember it was not even entered so not judged. I promised a friend I would post my first effort at wood turning and I did. Assuming I can stay out of hospital I'll have a go at a proper entry this month just to say I've done it without a hope in hell of winning but it might give someone a laugh. all I need to do now is find some wood, the kitchen chair is looking well past its sell by date, hee hee

Hey Wildman , nothing wrong with your Tazza it got the same points as 12/13 others :mrgreen: including mine :shock: . It must have been the cakes that let us down . :roll: :roll:

Take care and get well soon.

Back