Maple - suitable for outdoor use 365 days.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TRITON

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I need to overclad in clinker style a small pet shelter, but my spares of something like oak are a bit thin on the ground.
I do however have enough maple for this job, but was wondering if it was a suitable timber. That said there might be no choice but all the same I felt it prudent to get others opinions on it.
I do have some quartered oak, sized 6mm thick, but these are panels reclaimed out an old door at some 210mmx900mm and it feels a bit of a waste to saw them up.
I dont think maple is the right timber for the job, but maybe it would. It's not the type of timber I would think to select for outdoor furniture or such.
Area the pet shelter would go in would be quite sheltered, large fir tree above, thick bushes on one side, but still subject to rain and snow.
I wasnt intending to apply a finish, because A, i like bleached timbers and B it will need regular maintenance,which might not be done, but if maple is ok if used with a heavy weatherproof finish, i could well choose that option over the quartered oak.

I'd be fixing them with annular shank A2 stainless, predrilled.

Maple, as Dr Bob says, is complete pants for that kind of use. Find something else, e.g., oak, chestnut, etc. Slainte.

Why not use slate? As in roof slates, can be nailed and bonded for this sort of job. I did the top of a church notice board this way, quite smart. Ian

No it's rubbish for outdoor use.
Righto, oak it is :cool:
Why not use slate? As in roof slates, can be nailed and bonded for this sort of job. I did the top of a church notice board this way, quite smart. Ian
It's for the sides, ive already got some felt for the roof, which is slightly sloping to provide a sunbathing platform for cat. Besides with walls some 50mm thick without the cladding, and constructed in a framework overclad with osb, its pretty damn heavy as it is, slates would make it impossibly heavy and i havent factored in that extra weight bearing down.

Latest posts

Back