Maple leaf ijnlay box

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lumberman

Established Member
Reaction score
This is my latest project. The wood for the main body is Aspen the maple inlay is walnut and so are the corners and opener. the lid is butternut. I used shellac for the sealer coat followed by 3 coats of cellulose satin spray finish.
The mitres were cut on a scrollsaw and so was the corner inlays and the maple leaf inlays.

Harry.

Attachments

• Maple leaf inlay 01.jpg
    Maple leaf inlay 01.jpg
    159.8 KB · Views: 1,027
  • Maple inlay 02 copy.jpg
    Maple inlay 02 copy.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 1,027
  • Maple leaf inlay box 03.jpg
    Maple leaf inlay box 03.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 1,027
  • Maple leaf inlay box 04.jpg
    Maple leaf inlay box 04.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 1,027
No Jig was used all inlays and corners and mitres were cut with a scroll saw only.
To finish i gave it a coat of shellac, followed by 3 coats of cellulose satin spray finish.
Not quite sure what you mean by patterned boxes, Devonwoody.

Harry.

That's very attractive and unusual. I particularly like the degree of grain allignment you've achieved with the leaves on the lid, and the corner details.

Lumberman, your box shown is obviously not plain, and I see recurring designs which I named in this instance a pattern. Very nice and the corners I assume must have calculations involved to maintain the pattern if not done with a jig.

Well done Lumberman. Love the Canuckian pride on display. I must try this scroll saw gig , is it okay with scroll saw types for me to use a hand powered one? My daughter goes a bit funny when something powered by "lectrons buzzes or roars at her. she has multiple challenges among which is hypersensitivity . Plan on making a treadle lathe with jigsaw attachment soon from Roy Underhills plans. Should make scroll work easier. But that is for another day. for now just a birds mouth in the vice and a coping saw. Should keep me busy for a while.

I've got to add another WOW. Absolutley beautiful. I am also intrigued as to the workings out for symmetry, I have never used a scroll saw but if you can turn out work like that with one it is next on my list of stuff that I definitely need. Well done.

Back