maple, anyone?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sunnybob

wysiwyg
Reaction score
Does anyone have a few very small offcuts of a nice maple in their scrap bin?
I cant find any maple here, short of a 2" x 10" x 10 ft baulk of rough sawn plain, which would last me about 90 years at my current rate.
I've tried three major woodyards and they are out of stock.

I need enough for 5 drawer fronts on a bandsaw box. Pieces about 5" x 4" x 1/4". Plain would do, but figured or "pretty" would be nicer, but it needs to be as white as possible. If you have a thicker piece I can bandsaw it down to what I need.

Willing to pay for it and postage to a somerset address as my wife is going to visit family next week and could bring the pieces back in her luggage.

I've got some you can have for the cost of postage. Send me a pm.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

1. Premium quality, heavily figured, Fiddleback Maple. It has a slightly pink cast. Flat sawn so prone to cupping. I used this a few months ago for a contemporary version of a "bonheur de jour", a ladies writing desk which the pink cast suited, a lot of it went into saw cut veneer so there's sure to be a few 6-8mm cores still in the workshop.

Maple,-F.Back.jpg

2. Average to good quality Birdseye Maple. This has a deep honey colour (often the case with Birdseye). Again, flat sawn.

Maple-B.Eye-Ambr.jpg

3. Here's a wild card, some really exceptional, heavily rippled English Ash. Whiter than either of the Maples and sawn dead on the quarter so much more stable at 1/4" than the Maples.

Ash-Rippled.jpg

I'm pretty sure I can get out your dimensions in any of these from the off-cut pile. PM me if you want one and the shipping address you want it sent to.

Attachments

• Maple,-F.Back.jpg
    Maple,-F.Back.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 168
  • Maple-B.Eye-Ambr.jpg
    Maple-B.Eye-Ambr.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 168
  • Ash-Rippled.jpg
    Ash-Rippled.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 152
Myfordman.
Dont want a whole plank, my daughter has no way of cutting it and it would be a pig to get back on the plane.

promhandicam, thank you, I will ask custard, but youre not forgotten.

Custard, Pm sent

Back