Maple alternative for steam bending?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flanajb

Established Member
Reaction score
Aside from beech (not a fan of the grain) can anyone recommend an alternative light coloured wood that is suited to bending. I've been laminating 1.5mm into 12mm and using a form, but far too time consuming and steam bending might make a product I make more viable.

I know I can bend European walnut ok, so that's my contrasting darker timber.

Thanks

Ash - would have to select though as it can vary from very light to quite dark (subjective, I know!).

Steam bending is not something I've ever had to do but, given that you're effectively re-wetting the wood, you are going to have to factor in the drying time. That could be weeks to months - don't know what you're making so you'll have to decide if that will make your project more viable or less?

I have steam bent Oak in the past successfully, if you select that can be creamy pale. After steaming you build a little cupboard out of waste wood and polythene and you put your timber in there with a dehumidifier for a couple of days obviously it depends on the section of timber you have bent – job done. Ian
Ps I have never tried to steam maple, but all steaming works best on green timber, obviously it’s wet before you start. Then into the dehumidifying cabinet held to the shape you have bent it to.

Steam bending is all about getting heat into the timber not water. Only a small amount of water will actually penetrate the surface whilst in a steam environment for an hour or so.
Attached is a booklet by Veritas which might be helpful.
Brian

Attachments

• Steam bending booklet.pdf
    781.4 KB · Views: 15
I'm not a great fan of a
Steam bending is all about getting heat into the timber not water. Only a small amount of water will actually penetrate the surface whilst in a steam environment for an hour or so.
Attached is a booklet by Veritas which might be helpful.
Brian
. Thanks Brian. Most appreciated.

Back