Map of Timber Merchants

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chris thank you very much. What a first class idea.

Could we keep this as a sticky, if that is what you call it?
That way we can all have it at our fingertips, anytime we may need it.

Regards

Woody

Hi Chris

What a lot of work, well done.

Woodythepecker":36a6ak0g said:
Could we keep this as a sticky, if that is what you call it?

Could you perhaps include it in your signature, in the same way that Chas does?

Cheers
Neil

Chris, well done for sorting this out. Was on my todo list for a while. Did you find and easier way to set it all up?

I do think that this is worthy of being a sticky

Woody,
Thanks. I have adopted Neil's suggestion rather than a sticky as several folk (me included) find that stickies multiply like mushrooms after the rain and one gets fed up with scrolling through lots to get to the messages.

Tom, Waka, Thanks.

I beat you to it Tom :wink: It is still hard coded I am afraid. I never got around to boning up on the XML solution, which I see from the Google Groups Map API group has given a bit of trouble lately - I am not sure if they will support it with version 2 of the API which is currently in beta.

Sad to see theres a big gap in the map down devon way :( Not your fault as far as I can tell theres very little to put on the map. Nice resource though.
Mike

When I looked into it I found myself getting deeper and deeper into google map geekery and not really absorbing anything. It's still on my todo list. I'd like to use it for a few purposes.

Out of interest Chris, have u used it for anything else? i.e your geneology studies?

Chris,
nice resource thanks. I agree about the stickies and recent experience has shown that they often get ignored. Perhaps it could be added to the Links section though.

Andy

Chris,

Very nice, thanks for spending the time putting it together.=D>

I will need to visit some of these that I did not know were so close to me. :D

Excellant Chris,
I'm surprised you found Gilmour and Aitkens place up here in scotland...considering their website has a different name....very impressed

Ian

Ian,

Must be due to my Scots ancestry!

Tom,
Thanks - I have added them. In due course I want to add a means of including information about whether UKW members have used particular suppliers and also to have some sort of rating/commentary. However, the javascript coding is a bit beyond me at present and I am going to be away for a while - hope to get to it when I am back.

Hi Chris
This is a neat idea - thanks.
Another one for your list if you get a chance - although I've not used them yet:

Beach Bros Ltd
Western Rd, St. Thomas, Exeter, Devon EX4 1EQ

Have spoken to them though - you can sort through your boards. Some typical prices:
Cherry £52.30, Maple £41.40, Walnut £54.70, Ash £23.55 - all a bit on the pricey side compared to what I'm used to at Atkins and Cripps but sounded pleasant on the phone.

Would be nice to add support for user comments but does sound tricky - else user comments could be provided in this thread perhaps?

Cheers

Gidon

Gidon,
Thanks, I have added them.

I did think about user comments, or at least a star system but decided against it mainly because one gets conflicting comments on any given yard and a yard's stock/quality change over time, often quite quickly. Also, whilst a star system would be easy enough to implement, an interactive user comment system is a lot more work/difficult.

Thanks Chris! I still quite like the idea of users' opinions - I'll have a think about a possible simple way to work it ...
Cheers
Gidon

I've got a couple more suggestions for the Bristol area, since many people I've seen seem to think Robbins can be quite dear:

Clarks Wood co. Ltd.
Silverthorne Lane, Bristol, BS2 0QJ
0117 971 6316
www.clarkswood.com

I've not yet used them personally, but whenever someone 'knowledgable' suggests a place for hardwoods, this is the name that crops up. Seem pretty impressive if you ask me. I just hate the thought of driving through town though. :?

(Staddons) W.M. Staddon & Son Ltd.
The Barn Parnell Rd, Clevedon, BS21 6DD
01275 873214
www.staddonstimber.co.uk

I use them for my softwoods all the time. The also do ash, oak and sapele, aswell as ply, MDF and all the rest. Cannot hand-pick timber though, essentially a shop/counter with off-limits yard and machine shop.

Back