Manual CNC machine

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It will have to be a duplicator, as I will have several lines of small text to cope with. I already have something in mind. Been looking at a number of YouTube videos to get ideas. Thanks for the input.

I wish I wasn't as aware of what you mention as I am. The same issue is a reason visually to do very small work with high magnification - if it even looks decent that way, it'll look superb at normal vision.
True, many moons back, used to do line drawings of antique furniture, that were used for price lists, and were small images next to a description.
Would draw the image at A4 size, then shrink it on the copier to a 30-50mm square image. They looked so crisp and professional. The previous guy used to draw it at small size, and it looked $#it.

based on what's described above, sachakin's lever type duplicarver (that will do reduced size work in from the tracing apparatus) sounds like a better idea.

Several lines of small text either would require a small very accurate machine or one less accurate with a larger template.

The duplicarvers that I've seen are generally large (for rifle stocks or guitar necks or guitar tops) and they're a bit wobbly for small details and require care and slow speed to keep results clean.

What you want is one of these fitted with a router spindle

It has occurred to me that I may be able to build a manual CNC machine for what I plan to do.

I basically want to write text in wood at the same depth. As I am not very good at making neat letters with just a router on its own, some means of control of the router would be beneficial.

A manual CNC machine would not require computers, controller, software and a lot of setup time.

If I made templates I could reuse them again and again.

Your thoughts on this and a possible design much appreciated.
What you are looking for is called a pantograph engraver.

In all honesty with the amount of work required to engrave ‘paragraphs’ (I am assuming some paragraphs could be quite long) using a small font onto wood… you would be much better getting a used hobby CNC. It depends of course how much you value your time.

It has occurred to me that I may be able to build a manual CNC machine for what I plan to do.

I basically want to write text in wood at the same depth. As I am not very good at making neat letters with just a router on its own, some means of control of the router would be beneficial.

A manual CNC machine would not require computers, controller, software and a lot of setup time.

If I made templates I could reuse them again and again.

Your thoughts on this and a possible design much appreciated.
I have a pantograph engraving machine and it would be simple enough to remove the existing cutter head and use a router instead, I also have several sets of brass fonts not a cheap option but would give excellent repeatable results. with minimum setup. Could be persuaded to sell it I guess, I could certainly use the room.

Back