manual chainsaw mill

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

marcros

Established Member
Reaction score
Is there such a thing as a hand operated slabbing mill?

We have had some tree work done in the garden, and I have a couple of lengths of timber from it (3ft long, 8-9" diameter). It is too heavy to get to the bandsaw and there isnt enough to either take it to a sawmill (who probably wouldn't be interested) or to warrant spending much on kit. it would, however make a fun little project, knowing it is from my own tree.

Is there any way of slabbing it easily? I had in mind a hand powered version of a chainsaw mill, so I could reference off a piece of 4x2, but I dont know if such a thing exists. A handsaw would work I suppose but getting a consistent board thickness would be a challenge.

I could process it for turning blanks if all else fails.

Inspector

Nyuck, Nyuck, Nyuck!
Reaction score
You could get a small chainsaw mill and a good electric chainsaw but you won't get much lumber from a log that small. Now if you can find a pit saw and have someone willing to get showered with sawdust........... 🤔

Pete

marcros

Established Member
Reaction score
You could get a small chainsaw mill and a good electric chainsaw but you won't get much lumber from a log that small. Now if you can find a pit saw and have someone willing to get showered with sawdust........... 🤔

Pete

I thought about a small chainsaw mill, and thought much the same as you that there isnt much in it. I am under no illusion, if it wasnt from the garden, I wouldn't consider it for long.

maybe a helper and the bandsaw, or a jig and the tracksaw. It would start the cut if nothing else.

or turn something and be done with it!

Linus

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I made a simple jig for milling small logs on the bandsaw and it works very well. Plenty of ideas on YT which is where I blagged the idea. A volunteer helper will be useful if the log is a bit large but I have sawn 2 1/2 ft no problem once the log is fixed on the jig. If it's only a couple of logs try this

Doug B

Shy Tot
Reaction score
I’ve cut up quite a few logs on the bandsaw with just a simple sledge, it does help if you let the log dry a while with regards both the weight & the mess created on the bandsaw blade & guides.
I’d just seal the ends of the log & store it somewhere cool, dry & well ventilated for 12 months then think about it.

Tris

What am I doing here?
Reaction score
It's a wasteful technique but if the wood is otherwise free why not cut some large hardwood wedges, start a central split with an axe then continue it by driving the wedges in (lump hammer should do in this diameter). This should make it easier to lift to the bandsaw.
I use a chalk line to mark the centre of the log to guide the cut on the bandsaw. If you have a side axe trim the edges up and screw on a couple of pieces of flat board as a sledge.