Manual and service instructions for Poole Wood 28-40

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bogmonster

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have just aquired a Poole Wood 28-40. I think the bearings are OK but would rather not take the chance of trashing the shaft so plan to replace them. I have got the bearing numbers and have just ordered them. Taking the shaft out does not look too difficult. Looks like:

Belt off motor via red access panel.
Remove indexing ring - just unscrews.
Nut at rear of headstock with hex grubscew.
looosen pulleys (and maybe do something with speed control.
Tap out shaft that should result in the rear bearing slipping off shaft.
Remove front bearing with puller.

Does this shound right?

The spindle lock is missing and the shaft is burred where the spindle lock is. I need to measure this first to see if the head bearing will slide ofer it. If not I will need to remove the burr firs :(

On re-assembly, any idea what torque I need to apply on the nut at the rear? My understanding is that I need to asseemble, run for a couple of hours and then re-torque.

Any help most appreciated.

I have yet to try turning much on the lathe but there is definately more vibration than I expected. Not really sure why this is but don't think it is the main shaft bearings. Maybe I just need to use it and see.

Thanks, Chris.

Blister":1qfub2j2 said:
Hello

Welcome to the forum

I had a 28 40 some years ago and did a bearing and belt replacement

click on the link below

28-40-lathe-head-stock-rebuild-bearings-belt-etc-t24306.html?hilit=lathe%20rebuild

Hope this is of some help to you :mrgreen:

That helps a lot :) I didn't even realise there was an intermediate bearing as well. I will need to try and track down the part number for that as well. Just emailed Poole Wood Machinery again....

I don't want to take it all apart, get the numbers and then wait for the parts, especially over Xmas.

If it helps anybody else out I think the bearings are:

Intermediate: 6010ZZ
Front: 30206
Rear: 30205

I will let you know if I run into any issues.

Latest posts

Back