mancuna hand pillar drill chuck

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

triker64

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi I have a Mancuna hand pillar drill and would like to change the chuck for a key tightened one, any ideas if this can be done?

Possibly. The original was a separate part before it was fitted!
I suggest you undo whatever is on there, measure the thread, and see if you can source a replacement. In my limited experience of these things the chuck will be screwed onto a threaded arbour and will unscrew easily, assuming it's the sort of three jaw chuck where the end of the arbour presses onto the rear of the jaws and so has to be free moving to work. Your keyed replacement will need a blind hole with the same diameter and thread.

My A2X has a 20tpi x 3/4 chuck thread, if that helps.
I'm quite happy with the standard chuck, although mine is by no means showing any wear.

Bod

Thank you had not got to measuring the thread. only had this one a short while and never was keen on keyless chucks when trying to use a hold cutter but at least with it being a pillar it should not go off line and jam if I move.

triker64":cwrnilp2 said:
Hi I have a Mancuna hand pillar drill and would like to change the chuck for a key tightened one, any ideas if this can be done?

Did you change the chuck? I just realised that my Mancuna hand drill chuck is damaged (two of three broken springs) and I'd like to replace it with an original.

If you are no longer using yours I'd by it from you for the right price .....

is your drill a one or two speed? I have a 2 speed, but can't quite work out how to change the setting!

The white arrow points to the speed changing device on mine.
drill speed adjust.jpg

There is a possibility, that there is quite a variation in these drills, all using the "A2X" base castings.
Mine is a two speed, and I have seen a single speed with the same "A2X" base.
A photo of yours would be interesting.

Bod.

Attachments

• drill speed adjust.jpg
    drill speed adjust.jpg
    588 KB · Views: 270
kesterlester":1z53b215 said:
triker64":1z53b215 said:

Did you change the chuck? I just realised that my Mancuna hand drill chuck is damaged (two of three broken springs) and I'd like to replace it with an original.

It's not difficult to replace the springs, just use 3 identical, as close to the one you have undamaged, for length and strength.

Bod

Bod":1a7nw7k6 said:
The white arrow points to the speed changing device on mine.

There is a possibility, that there is quite a variation in these drills, all using the "A2X" base castings.
Mine is a two speed, and I have seen a single speed with the same "A2X" base.
A photo of yours would be interesting.

Bod.

Mine is a single speed with an "A2X" base.

Nigel.

Bod":2kbh7hjo said:
kesterlester":2kbh7hjo said:
triker64":2kbh7hjo said:

It's not difficult to replace the springs, just use 3 identical, as close to the one you have undamaged, for length and strength.

Bod

OK - I'll try repairing it. I had initially dismissed trying this as I couldn't get easy access to the jaws, however affter a bit of cleaning off of grime, I can see two holes in top of the check which suggests that with a pin wrench I can unscrew the neck of the chuck from the rest. Is that how it works? If so I hope it's a RH not a LH thread.

Attachments

• Photo on 30-06-2020 at 15.21.jpg
    Photo on 30-06-2020 at 15.21.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 136
Yes, looking at mine, it has the same two pin spanner holes, but mine has no step from the pin hole shoulder to the knurled hand grip.
Look carefully at the knurled area, for a screw head, which is there to prevent the chuck from coming apart in use.
Mine does not have a side screw, but some chucks do.
I would expect a fairly fine thread holding the shoulder to the knurled hand grip.
If you have to use a strap wrench, put that at the tapered end, of the knurling, to avoid squeezing the shoulder threads.

Bod.

There was no side locking screw on my chuck. I couldn't find an appropriate pin spanner, but could hold the pin-end of the chuck in a vice and could get a grip on knurled area with another. Fortunately everything was sufficient well oiled and not seized that I could then get it open. For reference the jaw springs in my chuck look to be 4mm by 21mm uncompressed, and an be compressed down to about half their length. So I'l try to get hold of some of them. My local shop shut 30 mins before I got them out.

is your drill a one or two speed? I have a 2 speed, but can't quite work out how to change the setting!
No mine appears to be a single speed but when drilling if you just turn the handle and leave the feed wheel alone it does self feed albeit slowly

No not cha fed it yet decided to live with it for a while and see how it goes.

Latest posts

Back