Mancuna A2X pillar drill

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Caffull

Reaction score
Hi all, does anyone out there have one? If so could someone please put up a pic of the chuck and its internal components?
I was lucky enough to get one and I fear there may be a part missing from the chuck, maybe a spring? when I took mine apart to look at the works inside , there are the three pyramid parts that make up the grip for drill bits, and a round plate with a centre pin that locates into the pillar drill main shaft, and nothing else. A spring would make sense but I may well be wrong. Any pointers in the right dirrection greatly appreciated.

I have one, but have never taken the chuck apart!
a photo of your 3 "pyramid" parts would tell if springs were needed.
There are chucks that don't use any springs, others that use straight springs.
Generally, 3 coil springs are used, but getting the "correct" ones is very hit and miss. An easy place to start, is 3 old ball point pen springs, be prepared to cut to length. Make sure the inside of the chuck is clean and smooth.

Bod

Hi bod, thanks so much for the idea, I will get a pic sorted in the next few mins, I took it apart as the jaws did not open when loosening

Unable to post pics, im not a computer whizz...bah! But pyramid pieces (chuck jaws) have 2 indentations each, making the spring idea a real possibility. I think maybe there should also be a spring on the the shaft of the flat plate that sits over the jaws? Will give your suggestion a go with the ball point pen springs, your a star would never of thought of it. Thanks again

This isn't the same drill and sorry it's not a close-up but at the top left there's an old chuck with three little springs fitted, as described.

IMG_4846.jpg

Edit: found the right photo

IMG_4839.jpg

Thank you Bod and Thank you Andy, I have been successful and managed to play about with some pen springs, getting it all back in to the housing was a little bit of a pain, but for anyone else attempting it, I squeezed the 3 jaws together then used insulation tape on the lower parts of the jaws then dropped it back in and removed the tape, worked a treat. Still unsure if the plate that pushes the jaws down needs a spring on the shaft too, but when I reassemble tomorrow I will be able to tell then.

Back