Maloof Style Chair

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philly

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All
Well it seems to have taken forever but I have finally compelted my Sam Maloof style sculpted chair. It is made from American Black Walnut with ebony plugs. Finish is BLO and Shellac. I made a couple of mock-ups to get the joinery sussed and to work on the shaping-unfortunately I couldn't get hold of any plans and had only half a dozen pictures (from unhelpful angles :roll: ) to work from. I think it came out pretty close, though.
Oh, and there was a LOT of sanding involved. Forgot how much I hate sanding..... :wink:
02.jpg

There is a gallery of pictures of the completed chair here...
http://www.philsville.co.uk/chair_gallery.htm

and the whole darn story, here......
http://www.philsville.co.uk/maloofchair1.htm

Hope you like it,
cheers
Philly :D

Great stuff Philly. The seat in particular looks really impressive - wouldn't want to sit down on one of the arms by mistake though :shock:

Only the other five to go now for the set!

BTW How did you get on with the arbortech? Looks like a pretty scary bit of kit - is it okay in practise? I have a '+1' plank of walnut that I got in an auction lot (ie 3 lengths +1) that isn't much use for anything but could be shaped into an interesting bench seat for which one of these could be ideal.

Cheers

Tim

Philly, it does look gorgeous but a little lonely. Will you make any more to keep it company?

Andy

Excellent - looked like it tooks hours and hours. Nice WIP shots too. Helps to see how it all comes together.

Very nice!

Adam

A triumph, Philly! =D> =D> =D> Never in the field of woodworking has so much sanding been done by so few to one chair. :lol:

Cheers, Alf

Very nice - particularly like the step-by-step,and the skilful recovery of the damaged section.

Andrew

Thanks for your positive comments everyone :oops:
The chair is very comfortable to sit in, I shaped the chair to fit my body so it shoud be. (well, for me anyway :wink: )
The rest of the set? Hmm......maybe next year..... :lol:
I considered making a rocker-think a 2/3 size one for my daughter will be on the books for early next year (once I've recovered from sanding...... :lol: ) I've had 4 cubes of Walnut delivered recently so have no excuse....
Apprentices-now where can I get a couple of sandaholics to help me?
The Arbortech was a lot of fun-the quickest way to cover the workshop in sawdust I have discovered! :lol: A little practise beforehand is recommended because it removes wood QUICKLY. And that means mistakes happen even quicker........DAMHIK :roll:
I just want to get back to something flat and square for some handplane therapy :D
Cheers
Philly :D

Ahh, the unvieling! Wonderful to see here. Great job, Philly!

Can't help on the sanding. Just too darn far to go don't ya know :lol: Otherwise I would. Really I would :wink:

Mike

Philly, you just get better and better :wink: Absolutely superb chair :shock:

Wow - purely beautiful :) All that sanding was worth it in the end (especially to those of us who didn't have to do it :p ).

Wow nice work Phiily, inspires me to be quicker with my Love Chairs.

I'm just at the shaping and sanding stage, havng made all my joints.

I do hope mine turns out as well as yours though!

Many thanks for your response, folks! :D
To be honest, I was sick of looking at it by the end. Wasn't sure if anyone would like it....... :lol:
Cheers
Philly
Who is pondering a nice simple project to do next.

Latest posts

Back