Maloof Style Chair

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Philly

Superb chair your accomplishments are inspirational (loved the Krenov cabinet too). From the quality of pictures it looks like your photography is well above par also. Is there no end to your talents?.

I've been buiding a table from black walnut for what seems like decades to be honest not being that experienced thought I'd bought a bad batch (all sap wood) but judging from your pictures (pre finish) my wood is very similar and seeing the superb colour & finish in yours has rekindled my enthusiasm can't wait to get stuck in and get it finished. Did you mop the shellac on or are you also skilled in the art of rubbering or whatever the correct termiology is?

Hi Fatcat
Thanks again for your comments-glad you enjoyed it.
I was very concerned at first with the amount of sap in the walnut-also it is difficult to see some of the sap until the finish goes on. But I quickly grew to like the look-if Sam Maloof is happy with sap then so am I :wink:
The shellac was applied with a small piece of folded up t-shirt-quickly wiped on, two coats a time. A light rub over with steel wool after a couple of days and a coat of wax. Not quite "french polishing" but it works :lol:
regards
Philly :D

Philly, Ace chair! And we know that it s STRONG don't we, 'cos I've sat in it.
Even if it did come with me when I stood up..... :lol:
You are a marvel to do work like that, and with so few tools....!
Regards
Martin
PS Thanks for all the grinding the other day.

Philly.

Another chairman in the making? :)

Very nice looking work and hope you have the energy to complete the other five!

Can I be rude and ask how long construction took to make the chair.

Hi DW
It took two months to make, although this included making two mock-ups out of pine first. I guess you could make one in a week (if you had the week off :wink: )
The other five will be a while yet :lol:
Cheers
Philly :D

Philly":3hto5nbo said:
Hi DW
It took two months to make,
The other five will be a while yet :lol:
:D

=D> beautiful Philly.....looking forward to meeting everyone at Tools 2005

Wow,
What a beautiful chair! I'm very impressed Philly, your talent seems to know no bounds!
Appreciate the step-by-step too.
Frank

Me too, I'm mighty impressed. Well done Phil.

Noel

Back