Mallets!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dodge

Established Member
Reaction score
Well, having bought my 10 year old son some chisels for Christmas decided he would need a mallet as well so having an hour free this afternoon I decided to make him one:-

After chopping up an old lump of Lignum Vitae realised that I had enough to make myself one too - so James has a smaller one to fit his little hands and I made mine larger accordingly. Beech handles and I put a small ebony bead on the bottom of mine!

All I've got to do now is get it wrapped and secreted under the tree

photo9.jpg

photo7.jpg

All I seem to be posting of late is "thats nice", will somebody please make something thats rubbish :D

So once again - their nice! grain on the LV heads is very attractive, will the glossy finish last long in use?

I'm sure your son will love his one (hammer)

Wonderful work Dodge...and as others have said...I am sure you son will treasure his for ever. I bet he will be after yours later when he comes of age!

I expect to see some nice work from him soon...with a father like you...he can hardly fail now can he!???

Jim

Hi, Dodge

Very nice, I keep looking at my balls and thinking I must get round to making one (bowling balls)

Pete

Very nice indeed, makes mine look decidedly shabby! I made mine from an old Beech sofa leg, with a handle from a Cotoneaster that was dug up from a neighbour's garden, it's very functional but nowhere near as attractive as yours.

Dodge":3dews7by said:
Well, having bought my 10 year old son some chisels for Christmas decided he would need a mallet as well so having an hour free this afternoon I decided to make him one:-

After chopping up an old lump of Lignum Vitae realised that I had enough to make myself one too - so James has a smaller one to fit his little hands and I made mine larger accordingly. Beech handles and I put a small ebony bead on the bottom of mine!

All I've got to do now is get it wrapped and secreted under the tree

photo9.jpg

photo7.jpg
Hi Roger
Lovely job! Do the handles go through the head and wedged or partway through and glued?
Regards Keith

Keith the heads are fox wedged onto the handles - after drilling the hole in the head I tapered it internally and then slotted the round tenon on the handle before inserting a wedge and hammering the handle home with a little titebond for good measure.

Dodge":16d7q98w said:
Keith the heads are fox wedged onto the handles - after drilling the hole in the head I tapered it internally and then slotted the round tenon on the handle before inserting a wedge and hammering the handle home with a little titebond for good measure.
Thanks Roger, sounds a tricky operation but the head should be secure for life.

I recently rehandled a hand-axe and used a metal wedge which hasn't made the handle secure enough so after half-an-hour of chopping sticks the head needs to be tapped back. I may try a wooden wedge and titebond instead.

Regards Keith

No skills":1z5bop2d said:
All I seem to be posting of late is "thats nice", will somebody please make something thats rubbish :D
My Pleasure NoSkills,

I have two bowling balls, of L/V and some Maple, so watch this space! :mrgreen:

John
:ho2

Latest posts

Back