Mallee burr

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodyturner

Established Member
Reaction score
Work was stopped on the bungalow today my lathe was beckoning me and it won result a Mallee burr bowl I have removed all the bark which took twice as long as turning it because I think that Mallee in one of the few woods that look better without the bark and one of the worst woods for removing it because it has some very sharp spikes sticking up underneath it is finished with sanding sealer and past wax it is 12" long x 8" wide x 2 1/2" tall enjoy

Attachments

• 011.JPG
    011.JPG
    101.9 KB · Views: 690
  • 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    102 KB · Views: 690
  • 012.JPG
    012.JPG
    41.7 KB · Views: 690
  • 009.JPG
    009.JPG
    115.1 KB · Views: 690
When you have a piece of wood that good I'm not suprised the Bungalow came second, nice shape and by the look of things a good finish as well. I think you've done this piece justice as it cant have been easy with that sort of shape.

Steve

Looks good :)

I've got one of those lurking in the workshop somewhere, keep putting off using it for the same reason, getting the bark off !!!

Any tips on that, or do you just have to pick away at it ?

Cheers, Paul

paulm":2tzhwd1p said:
Looks good :)

I've got one of those lurking in the workshop somewhere, keep putting off using it for the same reason, getting the bark off !!!

Any tips on that, or do you just have to pick away at it ?

Cheers, Paul
I turn them first so there is only a little bit on the edge to get id of and yes just pick away some I managed to remove with a Pr of pliers quite easy the rest I used a metal scribe or a bradawl and a few bits of skin missing at the end of it I did buy a few pieces with the bark already removed I thing it was sandblasted of
Regards Vic

Great use of a lovely piece of wood .Never turned Malle always threatened to buy some and thought I never did .
During my clear out a piece was discovered buried in a pile 0f burrs so I have been promised it back when turned.

Latest posts

Back