Makita vac with cyclone.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I connected my Cyclone to the Henry and was on top of a plastic bucket with a lid. Bucket kept collapsing, so followed someone's advice on here to stack two buckets. Worked for about an hour and then the inner bucket cracked and split. Actually, it shattered.

Now was considering a blue barrel or a used metal drum. But I might try the OSB idea and shape it to suit my needs.

Has anyone tried the American style metal rubbish bins?

I use a blue barrel. Maybe 25-30l in size. When the barrel is empty I have managed to collapse it when there was a blockage with my lvhp shop vac. Pops back to shape with a bit of persuasion.

In addition to my low cost ducted extraction system. I use 'dual cyclone technology' connected to my saw extraction points....also known as an old Dyson DC04. it works very well for sawdust, but would struggle with a lot of shavings.
I too have a repurposed Dyson dual cyclone in line with my shop vac.
I notice some loss of suction but also still have the original HEPA filter inline. Nothing gets past it.

Attachments

• 9F30CBC4-E253-4615-B992-5AC1420BC3F5.jpeg
    9F30CBC4-E253-4615-B992-5AC1420BC3F5.jpeg
    112.8 KB · Views: 35
Theory has it that 'rounded' shapes aid the cyclone effect.
If true, then a squared off 'box' shape should be less efficient.

I think I may have disproved the theory as my square box seems to catch pretty much everything (almost nothing gets to the Henry bag) - the cyclone effect is pretty much at the top/wide end of the cyclone, by the time the stuff gets to the bottom/narrow part it's hardly rotating, just falling towards the hole in the box. The key appears to be the seal - before I caulked the joins on the box the efficiency was somewhat less - and the toggle clips for the lid need to pull it down really firmly onto the draught excluder strip.

toolovation do 5" oneida cyclones and probably bigger
They do indeed Craig but it’s the hefty price tag that’s putting me off for what is just a piece of blown plastic.
I have an original Oneida metal dust deputy which must be over 10 years old now I’ve been looking at scaling up the size & making a metal cyclone as fortunately I’ve a couple of very good mates who have the equipment to roll & fabricate sheet metal, all I need is a bit of time

They do indeed Craig but it’s the hefty price tag that’s putting me off for what is just a piece of blown plastic.
I have an original Oneida metal dust deputy which must be over 10 years old now I’ve been looking at scaling up the size & making a metal cyclone as fortunately I’ve a couple of very good mates who have the equipment to roll & fabricate sheet metal, all I need is a bit of time
I know what you mean about the price tag, but if youre going to make one....might as well make 2 ;)

toolovation do 5" oneida cyclones and probably bigger

I bought my Oneida Super Dust Deputy XL from Toolovation (6-inch version). Yes, it was pricey, but overall was the fastest and least expensive option for me. Martin was very helpful and recommended several sources for metal drums if I didn't want to make a bin.

The German Oneida distributor didn't have the SDD XL in stock, but could order it if I prepaid. Unfortunately, his next delivery from Oneida was over ten months away. Oneida was happy to ship one to me, but the UPS shipping cost estimate from them was over $1,600. :oops:

The shipping cost from Toolovation was £20 and I had the SDD XL three days after I placed the order. Martin included a bunch of Kaizen-like foam inserts for drawers.

I'm using a blue barrel, but about to bin it off. Each time it collapses it leaves a crease, so it's becoming more prone to collapsing than it was when new.

It's in front of a Henry, which will collapse it in about 2 seconds if a block develops.

Ply box and grip fill for me...

Lot to be said for a pressure relief valve.

Yeah, but this barrel is knackered and I have the timber. If I were starting from scratch I would do that....

If in a couple of months I find emptying the box a massive hassle then I might get a barrel and valve, will see.

No, it collapses when it blocks. The issue is the first time it took a total block to slightly distort the barrel, now its more prone to collapsing in the same place, even with less of a blockage than before. Its created a weak spot where the side wall folded unfortunately. Shame, as it was ok for a while. Its not something I want to have to replace every 6 months tho, may as well just buy hoover bags if I was to do that.

I bought my Oneida Super Dust Deputy XL from Toolovation (6-inch version). Yes, it was pricey, but overall was the fastest and least expensive option for me. Martin was very helpful and recommended several sources for metal drums if I didn't want to make a bin.

The German Oneida distributor didn't have the SDD XL in stock, but could order it if I prepaid. Unfortunately, his next delivery from Oneida was over ten months away. Oneida was happy to ship one to me, but the UPS shipping cost estimate from them was over $1,600. :oops:

The shipping cost from Toolovation was £20 and I had the SDD XL three days after I placed the order. Martin included a bunch of Kaizen-like foam inserts for drawers.
I may have missed it Mike, but what size extractor do you have on a 6" cyclone?

No, it collapses when it blocks. The issue is the first time it took a total block to slightly distort the barrel, now its more prone to collapsing in the same place, even with less of a blockage than before. Its created a weak spot where the side wall folded unfortunately. Shame, as it was ok for a while. Its not something I want to have to replace every 6 months tho, may as well just buy hoover bags if I was to do that.
I think an 'escape' for the pressure (pressure relief valve) when you set this up would have solved the problem?

I do wonder if the pipe work is too narrow for the waste you are extracting?

Yep, you're right. As I said, if I was doing this again I'd do so.

Usually I only use it with the mitre saw and pillar drill, and to clean up any dust from hand working on my bench. The times it's clogged have been when long splinters turn in the pipe. The first time it went I was cleaning up floor sweepings and some wet leaves had come in with me, that was my fault...

I may have missed it Mike, but what size extractor do you have on a 6" cyclone?

I haven't changed it over yet, but I have a Bernardo 3HP blower assembly on my 5-inch cyclone that I will put on the 6-inch cyclone.

37240928086_ea586bd4c8_c.jpg

When I change out the 5-inch cyclone, I'll fix the mistakes I made in the original installation, such as the two 90-degree bends at the cyclone input. I'll also change out the 120mm ducting with 150mm ducting. Because the SDD XL is taller than the SDD that's installed, I have to replace the plastic 35-gallon bin with a shorter 35-gallon bin I made from 19mm plywood.

Latest posts

Back