Makita vac with cyclone.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

artie

Sawdust manufacturer.
Reaction score
I emptied the barrel today.
When I had it disconnected I thought I would have a look inside the vac
It's been connected to the mitre saw for more than 5 years.
Here's a pic of the filter and the inside of the vac. There is a handful of dust in the bag.

Attachments

• IMG_20201120_130621985.jpg
    IMG_20201120_130621985.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_20201120_130641452.jpg
    IMG_20201120_130641452.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_20201120_130915233.jpg
    IMG_20201120_130915233.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 62
The filter looks unused!
You could take bets or guesses on it from people at the pub for a free drink (back in the olden days) and come away with a few!

Coincidentally I emptied my bin* the other day and found that the bag in the Henry that drives the extraction had but a handful of dust in it after about 9 months of use - quite surprising, I expected much more to have got past the cyclone.

*The bin, with a cheapie ebay cyclone on the top, is a box about 15" cube made from OSB with the joins caulked and cased lid with some draught excluder strip to seal and two toggle clips. The ducting is just 40mm waste pipe from Screwfix and 41mm pond hose (with 3d printed adapters/connectors and home-made blast gates)

*The bin, with a cheapie ebay cyclone on the top, is a box about 15" cube made from OSB with the joins caulked and cased lid with some draught excluder strip to seal and two toggle clips.
You don't have to worry about it collapsing. :)

You don't have to worry about it collapsing. :)

Precisely - I did fit the cyclone to a plastic barrel with a screw-on top and it just collapsed - then tried the barrel in an OSB box to see if that worked, nope - then just used the box with the lid and seals - it works (and is easy to empty slipping rubbish bag over the box and turning it upside down)

In addition to my low cost ducted extraction system. I use 'dual cyclone technology' connected to my saw extraction points....also known as an old Dyson DC04. it works very well for sawdust, but would struggle with a lot of shavings.

A £3 plumbing part to make a pressure relief valve?
I've seen posts about pressure relief valves, but I feel it's lowering the effectiveness of the vac.
A stronger bucket allows the vac to work at max pressure.
A weak bucket with a prv will diminish the efficiency.
I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Not sure how it lowers the effectiveness?
Provides a good seal, should have minimal effect.
Agree a solid steel bucket would be better but ....

Not sure how it lowers the effectiveness?
Provides a good seal, should have minimal effect.
Agree a solid steel bucket would be better but ....
If the bucket only starts collapsing when there's a blockage in the hose, then you can set the relief valve to a threshold higher than the normal working pressure in the cyclone and it won't affect the performance. If it's collapsing under normal usage, then the bucket's just too weak and preventing the collapse will necessarily mean degrading performance because your relief valve will have to be letting air in all the time.

Latest posts

Back