Makita Trimmer - Guide Fence

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mal-110

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a Makita RT0700C Trimmer with a Makita Plunge base model no 195563-0. It did not come with a guide fence. As far as I can work out the only guide fence available fits other models and not the plunge base kit. According to some reviews the bars holding the fence in place are 10 mm, the plunge kit requires 8mm bars. I have tested the slots on the plunge base and they are 8mm. I really don't want to buy something that won't fit but I cannot find out what does. I have a query in with Makita UK but its been 5 days (I know the time of year) and my confidence in Makita is not what it once was. Has anyone come across this or knows a good Makita dealer. I am in the North West.
Thanks

Mal

I dont know how much help this will be, but my fence for the old style bosch pof 500a fits the makita plunge base a treat

I have the cordless version of this router - the DRT50, which uses the same plunge base. The pressed steel fence that comes with the kit is pretty basic, so like you I wanted to find a better fence and I also struggled to identify which one would fit the best. I called Makita and received no joy from them, so after a fair bit of detective work I bought the 193312-9 which fits and works perfectly. I paid £36 for it about 6 months ago.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004Z552U4/ref=pe_3187911_185740111_TE_item

The Makita trimmer/router is something that looks good on paper, but in use is a complete pain in the buttocks.

First off is the complete lack of parts supplied as standard. Oh you get a guide fence, but its of the cheapest nastiest type of presses steel, and seems to be able to bend easily. Certainly not what you want to be putting pressure on.
Then there is the height, I mean it towers well above even set low for most bearing guided cutters the center of gravity and tendency to want to tip is annoying at best, job ruining at worst.
Then theres the aperture, which itself seems to be the ideal place for fingers to wander into as you hold it or reposition.
Fed up of the basic base you spend more money on the plunge base, only to find that comes without any standard parts, forcing you to buy yet another part, just to use it in its capacity.

Swopping bases, which it appears to want to do leaves the bit not centered, so each time you must fit a centering bit and fart about to get it spot on.
But even just using the supplied round/trimmer base its not centered on the mounts, so turning it as you go gives more or less of a cut. I fitted that base then used a trimmer to get rid of the overhang, so the casting is the datum for it, not the plastic base overhang.

All in all I'd rate this tool as poor.

I should have bought a basic 1/4" Trend instead.

I have a Makita RT0700C Trimmer with a Makita Plunge base model no 195563-0. It did not come with a guide fence. As far as I can work out the only guide fence available fits other models and not the plunge base kit. According to some reviews the bars holding the fence in place are 10 mm, the plunge kit requires 8mm bars. I have tested the slots on the plunge base and they are 8mm. I really don't want to buy something that won't fit but I cannot find out what does. I have a query in with Makita UK but its been 5 days (I know the time of year) and my confidence in Makita is not what it once was. Has anyone come across this or knows a good Makita dealer. I am in the North West.
Thanks

Mal
Hi Mal

I have the RT0700C with the plunge base. It is a perfect fit for the Elu MOF97 fence, which is the same as the Dewalt DW621. This is the style of fence you are seeking.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Thanks

Mal

I've got both the little Makita trimmer and the big Makita router. The big router came with the large parallel guide you've linked to above. As you've said, it won't fit the trimmer directly, but two 8 mm steel bars is all you need to attach it to the trimmer's plunge base. The parallel guide has two slots - outer ones for 10 mm bars lined up with the holes on the 1/2" router and inner ones for 8 mm bars lined up with the holes on the trimmer's plunge base.

So if you want to use it with your trimmer, just buy a length of 8 mm steel and cut it in half (I use silver steel as I already had it, but I don't think it needs to be anything that posh).

Thank you all. I have a good few options. Monster, would you believe the price on the link you gave is now £60? It seems odd that you struggle to buy Makita add on parts yet can get them from other manufacturers. I find I am in some agreement with Triton over having to keep on spending to get a tool to do the job. Also he is right in that it is rather difficult to keep upright and the faceplate flat to the surface. It is the only router I have so I thought it might have been my technique.
In any event I have been given some sound advice, I will try for the Makita version but not at £60.

Mal

Thank you all. I have a good few options. Monster, would you believe the price on the link you gave is now £60? It seems odd that you struggle to buy Makita add on parts yet can get them from other manufacturers. I find I am in some agreement with Triton over having to keep on spending to get a tool to do the job. Also he is right in that it is rather difficult to keep upright and the faceplate flat to the surface. It is the only router I have so I thought it might have been my technique.
In any event I have been given some sound advice, I will try for the Makita version but not at £60.

Mal

At that price, you're not far off the price of a small 1/4" router, with fence?
for small jobs, I freehand the 700 and quite like it - doesn't scare me as much as the 1/2" :)

Mal
They do an 'offset' base which is purportedly for rou=ting close into corners and such, but makita themselves have discontinued it making me thing its got some inherent flaws, of which I think is the toothed wheel and drive belt, they both appear flimsy.

The plus side is the offset base itself fits to the standard trimmer body, so you get much more of a footprint, with less tendency to want to tip over.
Pic of it sitting on the offset base(note-not screwed on, but it does so without prob, and is so much better for bearing guided cutters.

The handle is off an angle grinder.
DSCF3979.JPG

Mal, I came across this video on YouTube which shows all the accessories for the Makita trim router. It includes the fence you are seeking (and similar to the Elu/Dewalt version I mentioned) ...

Regards from Perth

Derek

Thanks Derek. He promotes the router quite well and to be truthful it works for me but Triton is right in that it has a tendency to wobble. The offset base as he has described would solve that. I have ordered the Makita guide fence and a set of 8mm rods. Its an amazon purchase so if it does not fit it can always be sent back.

Mal

I've got both the little Makita trimmer and the big Makita router. The big router came with the large parallel guide you've linked to above. As you've said, it won't fit the trimmer directly, but two 8 mm steel bars is all you need to attach it to the trimmer's plunge base. The parallel guide has two slots - outer ones for 10 mm bars lined up with the holes on the 1/2" router and inner ones for 8 mm bars lined up with the holes on the trimmer's plunge base.

So if you want to use it with your trimmer, just buy a length of 8 mm steel and cut it in half (I use silver steel as I already had it, but I don't think it needs to be anything that posh).

DR Al
Do you know offhand the length of the 8mm bars. I can get stainless for 50p extra and cut to size (if I knew what the length was) The fence has not arrived yet. Don't go searching I can wait until the fence turns up.

Regards

DR Al
Do you know offhand the length of the 8mm bars. I can get stainless for 50p extra and cut to size (if I knew what the length was) The fence has not arrived yet. Don't go searching I can wait until the fence turns up.

Regards

It's largely up to you to be honest. The longer they are, the further you can have the fence from the router. The shorter they are, the more restrictive it is. My scientific wild ar*e guess would be that my 8 mm bars are about 300 mm to 400 mm long, but I can measure them if you like. Mine are also different lengths to one another as that's what they were like in the drawer and it didn't seem worth trimming them down.

Just went out and measured them - one is 320 mm and one is 270 mm. I'd err towards the longer length if I were you (and 400 mm would be better). If it were me ordering something specially, I'd get a couple of 500 mm bars and if they became too cumbersome then a hacksaw would soon sort that out...

Thanks Dr Al

I can go ahead and place my order. Very helpful of you to check out the length for me. Nowhere could I find the length but took your advice and the bars are not expensive, the postage costs more. Actually got a reply from Makita today and believe it or not they could not help me but referred me to my local dealer. They could not even tell me if the fence fitted the router even having given them the part numbers?

Thanks Again

Mal

Back