Makita Submersible Pump. PF0410/2

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fred Page

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking of buying this. Would anyone like to comment? I'm perplexed by the outlet size. Could I connect ordinary common garden hose? But would this result in heavier work on the motor?

Fred

Hi Fred.
I run a couple of submersible pump. A Machine Mart Clarke which is 3 odd yrs old and a Screwfix Titan version which is a year old. They are used to pump dirty ditch water to a field drain a hundred mtrs away.
The Clarke is starting to pump with less pressure (perhaps impeller is getting worn or is damaged) and the Screwfix version working well. Both run on a daily basis most of the year. They all seem to be of an identical design and similar price, 60 quid or so.
The outlet is typical blue pipe size. I reduced it down with a combination of old waste pipe and 2 sizes of copper pipe in order to fit the cheapest garden hose I could find for each pump.
So, yes, you can use a garden hose. Just gather the correct (ish) reducing bits, some good quality hose clips and it should work well.
YMMV.

Ive got a clarke on using 38mm layflat hose.... it pumps enough to fill that hose!

Hi Fred.
I run a couple of submersible pump. A Machine Mart Clarke which is 3 odd yrs old and a Screwfix Titan version which is a year old. They are used to pump dirty ditch water to a field drain a hundred mtrs away.
The Clarke is starting to pump with less pressure (perhaps impeller is getting worn or is damaged) and the Screwfix version working well. Both run on a daily basis most of the year. They all seem to be of an identical design and similar price, 60 quid or so.
The outlet is typical blue pipe size. I reduced it down with a combination of old waste pipe and 2 sizes of copper pipe in order to fit the cheapest garden hose I could find for each pump.
So, yes, you can use a garden hose. Just gather the correct (ish) reducing bits, some good quality hose clips and it should work well.
YMMV.

Hi Noel,
Thanks for that. But,

"The outlet is typical blue pipe size. I reduced it down with a combination of old waste pipe and 2 sizes of copper pipe in order to fit the cheapest garden hose I could find for each pump."

This is the part that worries me. It seems complicated! Is there not a simple Hozelock adaptor that will make connecting to garden hose an easy manoeuvre? I've tried to get suppliers to answer this but getting nowhere.

I'm looking at the Titan now.
Fred

I wouldnt think throttling it down is recommended, might be worth looking at the instructions.

Hi Noel,
Thanks for that. But,

"The outlet is typical blue pipe size. I reduced it down with a combination of old waste pipe and 2 sizes of copper pipe in order to fit the cheapest garden hose I could find for each pump."

This is the part that worries me. It seems complicated! Is there not a simple Hozelock adaptor that will make connecting to garden hose an easy manoeuvre? I've tried to get suppliers to answer this but getting nowhere.

I'm looking at the Titan now.
Fred

It's not a big job Fred, just a bit futtery I suppose. Think the Titan pump comes with a 32mm outlet for connection to the blue polyethylene type of pipe.
Edit- the pump comes with a 25mm reducer.
One difference between the Titan and the Clarke is that the Titan has an RCD plug. It goes off now and again, not a big deal.
There could well be some type of adaptor. Worth a look although you may have to heat up the garden hose to fit.

Back