Makita RT0700 vs Katsu Routers

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There isn't a single component between the two that is identical. I have both in my possession. The Katsu is a copy cat design with a design that allows the ancillary bits like the bases to be a compatible fit. It has nothing to do with Makita.

To suggest this is something to do with Makita Iis like saying a Youxia Ranger X is a Tesla or made with the bits of a left over Tesla.

Rorschach":ir10ggdm said:
How do you know that the Makita isn't the copy? :wink:
That has been seriously suggested on another thread actually. Maybe, but if it is, they have done a better job of it.

Sent from my Redmi Note 5 using Tapatalk

Bodgers":3byp4rff said:
Rorschach":3byp4rff said:
That has been seriously suggested on another thread actually. Maybe, but if it is, they have done a better job of it.

I think it was probably me that said it as I have read it on other forums, someone did the research and said that the Makita was a based on the design, a higher quality version though.

No actual concrete backing was provided though and everything you see listed online shows Makita owning and operating their own factories in China which is typical of these brands.

If you own and operate your own plant in China why have Katsu doing it to a lower standard?

The point needs to be made that there are a number of identical looking routers available around the world. UK eBay sells Katsu, Australian eBay sells it under a few names (I'm sure that this is the case in the UK as well), and in the USA it is sold by Grizzly.

What this suggests is that there is a singular design that is simply renamed and sold around the world. I would argue that the Katsu, et al is based on the Makita RT0700. I have the Makita 3701, which has been around for at least 10 years. This model is the forerunner of the RT0700. It is evident that the 3701 supplied the fences for later designs. It makes sense to me that the factory in China decided to base their design on the Makita because of it longevity.

Regards from Perth

Derek

The point needs to be made that there are a number of identical looking routers available around the world. UK eBay sells Katsu, Australian eBay sells it under a few names (I'm sure that this is the case in the UK as well), and in the USA it is sold by Grizzly.

What this suggests is that there is a singular design that is simply renamed and sold around the world. I would argue that the Katsu, et al is based on the Makita RT0700. I have the Makita 3701, which has been around for at least 10 years. This model is the forerunner of the RT0700. It is evident that the 3701 supplied the fences for later designs. It makes sense to me that the factory in China decided to base their design on the Makita because of it longevity.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Yes, agreed that they have based it on this design due to its widespread distribution and sales. No doubt time was spent analysing the Makita. But, the motor, controller etc are all completely different, so the only benefit they are gaining is product recognition (e.g. it looks like a duck (especially in teal)) and kind of quacks like a duck in that the accessories fit, but it definitely isn't the full duck.

Agreed that the Katsu design is definitely resold and branded elsewhere - Rutland's, Grizzly et al...

That's a really well made video, thanks for posting. Was the nut and collet tight on the katsu? If it was loose perhaps that may have added to the noise difference a bit ?
I'm pleased with the katsu so far. If it lasts 3 years then that's as good as makitas warranty so perhaps I'd just buy another.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Not sure, it is possible it wasn't fully tightened down. One thing I did notice is that the fan on the Katsu is of a completely different material and design and makes a lot more noise which drowns out most of the rest of the noise the motor makes.

Rorschach":3dl770jq said:

I suspect the Makita is a slightly modified and rebranded Katsu. I don't understand the comment about collet and nut, my Makita one fits the Katsu perfectly.

GrahamF":3owvban9 said:
I don't understand the comment about collet and nut, my Makita one fits the Katsu perfectly.

The makita he demonstrated had a cutter fitted. The katsu had nothing other than a wobbly collet spinning at 13000 rpm. I thought that may have made it a bit noisier compared to the makita ;)

Whether the Katsu is a clone of the Makita or visa versa is not relevant, they both work extremely well, its just that one is a bargain compared with the other, longevity or not, I really don't care at the cost of the cheap one I can buy three of four of them instead of the other and still have a running guarantee.

Mike

GrahamF":3kneqh8n said:
Rorschach":3kneqh8n said:

I suspect the Makita is a slightly modified and rebranded Katsu. .

What leads you to that suspicision?

MikeJhn":8ou0tppq said:
Whether the Katsu is a clone of the Makita or visa versa is not relevant, they both work extremely well, its just that one is a bargain compared with the other, longevity or not, I really don't care at the cost of the cheap one I can buy three of four of the other and still have a running guarantee.

Mike

Agreed. I am reasonably happy with the Katsu. It is nosier and more cheaply built than my Makita, but for the money you can't argue really. I think for the hobby user it is a great buy.

Bodgers":1e9g99m9 said:
GrahamF":1e9g99m9 said:
Rorschach":1e9g99m9 said:

I suspect the Makita is a slightly modified and rebranded Katsu. .

What leads you to that suspicision?

Maybe I should have said "manufacturer" rather than "Katsu".

When I spoke to Makita UK, about collets, was told many well known brands are sourced from manufacturers churning out goods which can be tweaked and rebranded to order. The part number on the Katsu is identical to the Makita.

Bodgers":21g18tgr said:
There isn't a single component between the two that is identical. I have both in my possession. The Katsu is a copy cat design with a design that allows the ancillary bits like the bases to be a compatible fit. It has nothing to do with Makita.

To suggest this is something to do with Makita Iis like saying a Youxia Ranger X is a Tesla or made with the bits of a left over Tesla.

Mmmm

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motor-Armatu ... SwpONZRrB8

Pete

Racers":h8xfmde1 said:
Bodgers":h8xfmde1 said:

Mmmm

Pete
Wowsers, that's quite a find Pete !

Racers":2p4nvipf said:
Bodgers":2p4nvipf said:

Mmmm

Pete
It may "fit" but that doesn't make it the same. The motors inside both ARE different. I will do a tear down video eventually to demonstrate this.

You can buy cheap Chinese made brake pads that 'fit' your BMW but they aren't the same as the real thing.

What is interesting about those pictures on that listing is the motor is clearly the Katsu knock off as the fan is that cheap semi translucent plastic. The fan on the Makita has a different blade profile and seems to be made out of a black ABS plastic. It makes a lot less noise.

GrahamF":1uo5d1x2 said:

When I spoke to Makita UK, about collets, was told many well known brands are sourced from manufacturers churning out goods which can be tweaked and rebranded to order. The part number on the Katsu is identical to the Makita.
Have you links for that?

The part numbers don't seem the same to me:

http://www.makitauk.com/accessories/rou ... eeves.html

https://www.aimtools.co.uk/products/sp1 ... 6518864586

Comparing the nut and collets side by side, they are slightly different colours with a different surface texture. Doubt they are made in the same place.

Bodgers":2cvftfh1 said:
GrahamF":2cvftfh1 said:

Have you links for that?

The part numbers don't seem the same to me:

http://www.makitauk.com/accessories/rou ... eeves.html

https://www.aimtools.co.uk/products/sp1 ... 6518864586

Comparing the nut and collets side by side, they are slightly different colours with a different surface texture. Doubt they are made in the same place.

I'm not in the UK at the moment so can't look at anything. When I said the part number was the same on both, I was referring to the router part numbers on the badges. As far as the collet is concerned, I just ordered a Makita (IIRC 8mm) collet and nut which fit the Katsu perfectly.

Back