Makita Router Stopped working after storage for a year?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Meridion

Reaction score
Hi guys, new to the forum. Any power tool electric wizards out there please?

Makita 3612C, was working fine, kept it in the garage for about a year, not used it. The garage can get a little damp at times (not 100% waterproof).

Anyway got it out last night. Pulled the trigger turned on, couple seconds then went to like half speed for a second and then stopped. Thay was it! Changed fuse, wiggled cable all over, replaces brushes, I tried bypassing the switch to see if the switch had died, but nothing! Tested the switch and there is continuity through it. So not sure!

Any ideas please?? Thanks in advance!

I'd call Makita, their customer service has been very good for me. Had a drill fixed FOC even without a warranty having been registered. They said "send it in and if it hasn't been abused we will fix it" they were as good as their word and it came back looking like new.

Sounds like you’ve checked the obvious. Makita service are great, give them a call
Aidan

Thanks guys, I didn't know if the variable speed switch could fail or a capacitor etc? Just wanted to check before I cut a wire lol!

Just seeing if there's anything I can do before having to send it off. I need to use it as soon as possible

Can it bypassed? I've always used it on max speed 😁
If you can find one online its worth trying to replace it. Otherwise its probably back to a service agent although they charge a lotta money for doing very little.

Based on my recent experience with Makita, if you’d called them yesterday it would have been collected today and you could expect it back early next week, I really do suggest you try that option

+1 for calling Makita. My 10 year old plunge saw got gummed up and would not lift out of plunge on it's own. One quick call to enquire how much it would cost to replace and a week later it was reurned fixed foc. Brilliant service - they have my business for life now.

Based on my recent experience with Makita, if you’d called them yesterday it would have been collected today and you could expect it back early next week, I really do suggest you try that option
I've followed your suggestion, it was collected Tuesday! Let's see what they say! Thank you

Makita want £150. Nevermind ey!

Latest posts

Back