makita or lamello jointer

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
its unwise to pay too much, and worse to pay to little!!! so that says makita!!! (but i'm still not 100% sure witch to have) thanks for advice!!

I have the Makita.

I've always had problems with it's accuracy, it's very easy to get the fence out of square and so the corresponding biscuit slots. You then end with a, usually very small step in the joint. It's not much, but it's a problem.
I also find that it clogs very quickly, mainly due to the fact that it has a swiveling elbow attached to the inner side of the casting which causes the blockage.
I'd like a Lamello, but have been unsure whether to get the top spec Top 20 or the Classic. I can also see the Domino being useful.
I tend to only use a biscuit jointer on man made materials, finding real wood strong enough butt joined for panels etc.

Just my thoughts.

any one used a biscuit cutter in a router?? i had one when i started and if i remember it made a good acurate job. does any one else use one??? any thoughts??

markus":1tpjcfks said:
any one used a biscuit cutter in a router?? i had one when i started and if i remember it made a good acurate job. does any one else use one??? any thoughts??
Have used one of these occasionally, much better in my view to buy a dedicated machine - Rob

markus":2k8wadnq said:

Yeah I use one for jointing worktops its easier to run slots along the mitre joint on a worktop with a router than a biscuit jointer.

Probably like most people, I had a cheep model to begin with but soon out grew it, when I bit the bullet I bought a Porter Cable 557.

What do I think - FANTASTIC!!!!!!!

Comes complete with 2" & 4" blade which not only enables be to be able to use all the standard biscuits but means I can also use 'FF' (face frame) biscuits. This means I can put a biscuit in a piece of stock as narrow as 38mm.

The fence is super cool as it pivots from 0 - 135 degrees and is most well made and robust jointer I have ever come across and would recommend it to anyone.

Pete

I own a De Walt biscuit jointer and am very pleased with it.

My only gripe with De Walt is the power cables that tie themselves in knots.

Regards, Peter.

What about the Bosch 22B (at least I think thats the model number). The fence looks identical to the Makita, you get 2000 biscuits with it instead of 1000 and it's got more power than the Makita too?

Used to have a Freud, now Lamello. Fence actually works accurately, excellent machining and clear scales. Also, can be fitted to base for extra support for certain cuts.

Back