Makita or Dewalt

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

p111dom

Established Member
Reaction score
I need an impact wrench so was going to just get the Ryobi one to go with my set but its expensive and my one series batteries are way past their best. Makita do one, think its a TW100d but at around £150 with two batteries I thought I'd get the 10.8v drill driver combo set with two bats for about £150 and buy the wrench bare for about £50. I was drawn to the makita as Axminster do copy batteries for about £35 and was about to buy but then I had a go of the Dewalt 10.8v combo set which was pretty good and only £15 more. The tools were more comfy in the hand and with a wide battery base, stand up on their own. Integral work lights were also better on the Dewalt. The chuck on the Dewalt drill while plastic had a click lock function but I didn't check the Makita equivalent. Basically I preferred the Dewalt but its really the impact driver I need it's not available in the Dewalt range till Jan. Apparently Mac tools have a few on pre release but there prices are high. Should I go for the Makita now or wait till Jan to get the Dewalt kit?

Dom
Do you mean a impact driver or an impact wrench. If you are after an impact driver I can help; I have both the Li- Ion Makita 18v (Btd180?) and also a little bosch set including a 10.8v impact driver. I have to say the bosch set is absolutely fantastic; I have tried the Makita and DeWalt 10.8v range, and in my honest opinion the Bosch is better. That said I think the DeWalt range may have improved since I tried them.
The Impact drivers run at about 100 to 150 Nm (newton meters). The makita 18v is, I think, 145nm. The 10.8v bosch (blue) is 105nm odd. Both have never been short of power as far as I am concerned. And I have worked 'em out properly.
I think DW are working on some new 'toys' which may be an improvement over the older stuff, not sure. I think they have definitely made improvements to their range, which I think they had to do as they were definitely lagging behind Makita.
Bosch blue, however, are often overlooked. I think you discount them at your peril; they are very, very good.

Neil (who obviously has too many tools, and too much time to play with them :roll: )

PS Impact wrenches are meant for engineering, or mechanical, use and as such are really far too powerful for general wood use. ie 150nm for the DeWalt impact driver, 400 odd nm for the DeWalt Impact wrench. The drivers take a 1/4 inch attachment, I think the wrenches are fitted with a 1/2" square end. For sockets etc.

It is the wrench I need which in both the Dewalt and makita 10.8v's case is a 3/8 inch drive but if I'm going to get a new system then better to get the woodworking items at the same time.

Dom
I stand corrected, and educated. I really didn't realise they made a 10.8v wrench. Surprising really, I always thought the Impact wrench was for mechanics etc. Not sure it'd be meaty enough.
I have some Ryobi stuff, and bought a couple of li ion batts for them. They transformed the tools. That said they are making a bit of a strange noise.
The makita stuff is just SO popular I think that must say something. I have the ID and combi drill, and they are good. And the range is amazing. So I think I might jump that way.
But I do still really rate the bosch stuff. Not really much help am I? Can't help it, I love 'em all.

I'll get my coat.

Neil

Milwaukee M12 impact wrench would be worth a look too.
I am impressed with the performance of the drills and impact driver especially when fitted with 3.0 amp hour batteries.

Think you're getting a bit infused between models there mate. The 3ah bats are on the 18v model, the 12v one is a 1.5. Price on the 12 is comparable though so Ill have a look.

I have just replaced my Makita drills, with more Makita drills. I bought from http://www.tools4trade.com/ and got the timing just right. £50, [now £60] got me the Pink 10.8v drill/driver with charger and one battery. £30, [now £42] bought a genuine spare Makita battery. I bought two of each, and for £33 the impact driver. I am pleased with them, and the 10.8v naked saw I bought from Axminster for £90.
The drill/drivers do not quite have the same "guts" as the original 12v, but I am splitting hairs. The feel/balance and lack of battery discharge are very nice. They are ideally suited to workshop use, but if doing site work you would need more on the voltage side.

Coli

Back