Makita or DeWalt?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

graham

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks,
I'm about to buty a new 18v combi and am stuck between Makita and DeWalt. Does anyone have any good or bad experiences with either of these units that can help me decide?
Any suggestions greatly recieved!
Thanks for your time,
Graham

Did consider the panasonic (15.6v with 3.5ah batts) but could not find any personal recommendations aaround the place so was a bit put off but maybe should reconsider?
Thanks for the info,
Graham

Wood1000, in a lot of cases the heavier machine means there is a motor with a bigger coil in it, meaning stronger and thus long lasting (Well at least I know that this is particularly true for routers). So wouldn't the heavier Dewalt not make it a stronger tool?

Of course I understand that based on the weight of the tool alone you prefer using the lighter ones.

Hi,
I had a play with both the Makita and DeWalt and my first impression was not just a weight issue but more importantly (in my opinion) one of balance. The Makita seems to feel comfortable in the hand whereas the DeWaly was not well balanced..leading to my conclusion that prolonged use may result in tired wrists!
just my humble opinion...oh to get my hands on the panasonic to see how it compares!!
Cheers,
Graham

Slightly off the subject but I have a Makita Compound Mitre saw and I am very pleased with it. They seem a very good company. Pricey but good :)

Personally I prefer DeWalt . I have about 6 DeWalt cordless drills of various voltages and use them all the time and have never had a problem with them. As a Joiner I put my tools through a fair bit of work and I know the tools are reliable and hard wearing. I have had Makita's over the years too and though they are good I would choose the DeWalts because I know what I am getting.I did actually choose a Makita Jigsaw rather than the DeWalt recently because I found the DeWalt blew too much dust into the line of sight so probably the best advice is to try before you buy. Makita and DeWalt are both at the top end in terms of performance and price and there is very little to choose between them so a lot will come down to personal choice and how the tool handles in use so have a play with as many as you can before you part with your hard earned.

Back