Makita MT range info

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jameshow

Established Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know anything about the red
Makita MT range.

Are they any good?

Ok they are not going to be top drawer but surely better than Screwfix, b&q, Argos, own brands right??

Any one got one?

was thinking particularly of a ROS

Cheers James

my limited understanding of them is that they are all corded, essentially older makita models in red housing, and possibly not made to quite the same standard as makita blue. I was also looking at the makita mt ROS, seems like good value, but have also heard a lot of good things about erbauer as a budget option. I don't think that any range is universally good or bad, especially at the budget end, with so much rebadging going on. The beauty of corded tools is that you can get the best tool for your needs and budget without being forced into buying one brand, as is often the case with battery tools, so I'd simply ask the question how good is the makita red ROS, as the rest of the range is irrelevant to your needs

I have a red Makita finishing sander purchased back in 2013. Overall the build quality is quite good and it seems to be fairly bulletproof having worked without issue for all these years. I would guess the advantage might be in having spares and accessories available for a good while where some of the cheaper brands might not offer the same three for four years after purchase.

**Edit to add that it seems the red Makita MX are green in NZ - funny how the colours change for a region. Makita - Products - MT Series

Last edited:
The website has them coloured in Green, which is maybe the latest range, so maybe look out for them rather than the red casings. Of course it might not be out yet, or be country specific as many of the sellers still have them in red.
But if it is a new range, maybe best look out for that.

Great prices, and I think I'll go for their 4" belt sander when I get around to it.

ive got the router. the only thing a find a bit of a pita is its 1/4". but its a beast for a 1/4" router. wanna get the makita 1/4" cordless and a 1/2" router one day.....

also the kiwi version of mt includes the g-series stuff that we have over here.

I have the red makita single speed ROS bought from screwfix about 4 years ago and I'm happy with it but haven't used any others so have nothing to compare it to. The dust bag is ok using normal discs but I use abranet mesh discs and it is very good. I also use mirka pad savers as well, cheaper than replacing the baseplate. I guess that applies to all ROSs.

I don't think Makita makes any low quality tools, they don't want to tarnish the company brand. I think the MT range are quality but outdated as far as technology is concerned. So if bells & whistles don't float your boat then no problems.

Back