Makita mitre LS1040 not so soft start

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrs C

Established Member
Reaction score
My Makita mitre saw has never pretended to be soft start, but seems to be getting increasingly viscous when you wake it up. Not sure what to check in addition to the brushes which are fine.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

I had one for a long time, definitely not soft but it stayed the same for 14 yrs.

It were summer, I'd suggest your mains voltage might have gone up because of people's solar panels pushing power back into the grid. Around here I've measured it at 255V on a sunny summer day. Lots of panels making energy but not enough cars and hot tubs connected to use it up !
As it's winter, it won't be that.
Maybe it sounds worse because it's cold and so you have all the doors and windows shut. Stuff sounds worse in closed spaces :)
I can't think of a mechanical or electrical reason why it would get worse, unless the bearings are wearing out and noisier when cold.

Gear or belt driven?

If gear, check the backlash on the blade. The gears may be getting worn and when the motor starts it's getting a running start before it hits that first gear or worm tooth.

I would say my Bosch is the same, slight jolt and upto full speed, nothing to worry about but the softstart is doing it's job but unlike a router you don't notice it.

Back