Makita lxt

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr Wullie

Reaction score
Evening all.
About to start my workshop build and thinking of upgrading my old makita G series drill and driver as I’m looking at getting a few more cordless tools so decided it’s about time I purchase some lxt stuff.
Is there a decent combo kit of drill driver available or best to buy separately?
I’ve had a few searches and just confusing myself with model numbers etc.
Is the 482 still a decent drill or any other recommendations? Also decent torque driver?

thanks.

many many years ago I brought a 6 piece set it was £600 I still use it full time. ( I was a hobbies when I brought it) I've been self employed 7 years now.
I bet the 6 piece set has not gone up much either.

Not sure the numbers but I made a mistake and bought a lxt drill with a plastic gearbox and chuck, it was garbage compared to my previous one with a metal gearbox and chuck that lasted 10 years . I killed the plastic one in about 6 months realised my mistake and made sure to get the right one this time.

The trouble is they look almost identical bar the chuck itself. You can tell by the weight though. Make sure to check the specifications on the Makita site against the model number.

You can often find the 6 piece sets for a good price at places like FFX or N&B.

Ollie

The DHP481 is the top 18v combi drill if you're needing to make some big holes and after a monster drill that'll last and has a good chuck. The 40v range is now a thing and the HP001G is a step above even the 481 (even more power and anti-wrist-snapping wizardry).
If you're just looking at pilot holes and driving screws then any of the LXT offerings will see you right. The DDF083 makes for a powerful yet light weight drill driver for example.

I’ve got the 458, which I think the brushed predecessor of the the 481. Great drill, I’ve used it with a 125mm core drill through a 9 inch brick wall without issue. Whatever one you get make sure it has a metal gearbox if you want indestructibility.

Depends what your going to use it for and how often.
I have the 481 and it is beast.
It’s heavy but will plough through most materials without issue.
The DHP484 will do most jobs in the workshop but it’s Chuck is plastic if remember correctly.
It’s about £100 cheaper in kit form.

I’m not convinced that the current Makita chucks are as good as the drills themselves.
Chucks on the previous incarnations of the brushed 481 we’re better IMO.
This still wouldn’t put me off buying either the 481 or the 484.

You dont really need a combi drill in a workshop, you'd be way better with 3 or so standard drill drivers sharing batteries.
It is a pain, and anyone who has had to assemble anything will tell you swopping bits, drill to countersink to driver bit is a complete pain in the derriere. It is better and quicker and with less fuss and headaches when the drill bit or countersink rolls off the bench and you havent straight away noticed.

Depends what your going to use it for and how often.
I have the 481 and it is beast.
It’s heavy but will plough through most materials without issue.
The DHP484 will do most jobs in the workshop but it’s Chuck is plastic if remember correctly.
It’s about £100 cheaper in kit form.

I’m not convinced that the current Makita chucks are as good as the drills themselves.
Chucks on the previous incarnations of the brushed 481 we’re better IMO.
This still wouldn’t put me off buying either the 481 or the 484.

The outer sleeve on the 484 is likely plastic but it makes a good impression of feeling like metal. Not a big deal, the older (yellow and black) Panasonics had a plastic sleeve and they were very popular amongst the trade for years. The 484 seems a good all round performer, in the workshop and out and about. Although marketed as a combi I rarely use the hammer but it's fine in brickwork up to 6/8mm or so.

Where Makita do a combi (DHP-prefix) they generally also do a drill/driver version (DDF-prefix) which lacks the hammer drilling facility. The problem is that these are a lot less popular in the UK than the full blown combi (and why would a tradesman want a drill/driver if a combi was more or less the same price?). The combis are therefore both easier to find and cheaper

You dont really need a combi drill in a workshop, you'd be way better with 3 or so standard drill drivers sharing batteries.
It is a pain, and anyone who has had to assemble anything will tell you swopping bits, drill to countersink to driver bit is a complete pain in the derriere. It is better and quicker and with less fuss and headaches when the drill bit or countersink rolls off the bench and you havent straight away noticed.

this is true I have another combi drill that working fine for now as well as corded sds which can do any bigger jobs.
so think I’ll go for this unless there are any other links or suggestions?
https://www.wickes.co.uk/Makita-DHP482RTWJ-18V-2-X-5-0Ah-LXT-Cordless-Combi-Drill/p/236710

Last edited:
Back