Makita LS1013 Clones?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Does anybody have one of those Makita LS1013 clones?

Are they "Makita" as in same saw, different label, or are they just a rubbish copy? My own chopsaw just died (got the job finished, at least) and I will shortly need to buy a new one. I know my gut feeling is "don't touch it with a barge pole" but I may be wrong. If anybody has one, or has used one, I would appreciate your advice. Looking at pictures of the clone and the original side by side, it is hard to tell them apart except for the colour.

To be honest, this is a subject I thought would have been touched on before, but I have been unable to turn much up about these saws. They show up on Ebay every so often and if they were the same tool, they are a lot cheaper.

I do fancy the Makita due to its accuracy, versatility and the fact so many people I know have them and rate them highly. They are a bit dearer than I really want to pay but, this time around, I'm will get one that will stand the pace. I have a few other Makita tools and honestly can't fault them. I also like the Electra Beckum KGS301 due to its quality (used one a few years ago) and the induction motor but the depth of cut isn't great and puts me off. I saw a Bosch GCM10S on a website somewhere. Got a good review, as did the new big Ryobi. I don't think they would be as good a quality as the Makita though. I have been comparing specs, prices etc for a few evenings now and at this point it really is beginning to get confusing!

Saying all that, if the clone is any good, problem solved!

All the best,

Mick

My opinion re clone is that if you are an hobbyist it would most probabley stand up to the amount of work you put it to. If you are working it hours a day you most probably need the Makita, spares and service would most probably be better.

Mick

I'm not an expert on the different types of mitre saws, (not really an expert on anything). I have the LS1013 and have have mant years of good service. Only one mishap and that happened a few weeks ago.

I have always been wary of clones and will they perform as they are supposed too, also what is the back-up service like.

My advice whether hobbyist or for professional use I'd save up for the best, and personnally I don't think you can get much better than the LS1013. Good hunting on your choice.

Waka

A toolshop in Cirencester once stocked the Makita LS1013 clone - I can't remember what the brand was. It was around £380 inc. VAT. Unfortunately before I could get one, he'd sold out and couldn't get any more. So say, Makita got very upset and slapped the importer down, stopped any further sales in the UK. It was a Makita in all but name albeit with a very slightly different depth stop arrangement, but came out of the same Chiwainese factory AS THE GENUINE MAKITA.

Makita as it turns out, don't manufacture all their lines themselves. Some products are licensed for manufacture externally (case in point - the Rexon WG180 wetstone grinder is virtually identical to the Makita 9820 model (commonly available in US but not UK)). Apparently, this was the case with the LS1013 clone, and the factory had been a bit naughty selling them as something else Others might know better and I may be talking b*****ks, but that's what i'm led to believe by the dealer.

There are clones which are one and the same tool with different paint and badge, and there are clones which are 'copies' possibly (probably) of inferior materials and build quality, which raises another point on clones. Even if a clone looks to all intents and purposes the same as the 'genuine' brand, how can one be sure that it has the same quality motor built into it, e.g bearings, windingas and most importantly, winding insulation?

Ike

Thanks, everybody for the replies. I had a look on Ebay for the clone and here is an example:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... RK:MEWA:IT

It certainly does look very similar, the only difference I can see is the laser. However, as Ike says, the difference may well be on the inside where it counts.

If nothing else, it will show just how alike they are, cosmetically.

All the best,

Mick.

I was at Makita when these clones arrived. The Makita clones are not made in the same factory, Makita make the LS1013 for themselves in Japan. The clones are made (badly I might add) by copycats in China.

The clone machines do not glide like the LS1013 nor do they cut as accurately.

Hi Malcolm,

Thanks for the inside word on Makita. So my local dealer was talking up the clone when he said it "was out of the same factory" as Makita.

cheers

Ike

ike":ghdmtex1 said:
Hi Malcolm,

Thanks for the inside word on Makita. So my local dealer was talking up the clone when he said it "was out of the same factory" as Makita.

cheers

Ike

At the D&M show, the Makita guy was saying the "clones" were bordering on a fire hazard. See this thread as well... (it's about part way down...)

https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=726

Latest posts

Back