Makita DTM50z MultiTool - Has anyone got one?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrDavidRoberts

Established Member
Reaction score
Good day everyone,
I'm in a market for a new multitool
I think I have narrowed down the choice to Makita DTM50z model as I already have batteries/charger and other makita tools, was just wondering if anyone got one of these tools and could maybe give a quick review on how good is the makita unit and is it a nice quality tool overall? At the moment I only have Lidl parkside multitool but it's a very bad quality tool -not sure why I even bought it, I used to have a Bosch GOP 10.8v as well in past which I really loved but I don't have that anymore.

Seems a very good machine ! I've had a couple corded fein multimasters and this seems as good, if not slightly better.
The battery seems to be powerful enough to do cutting with ease. Variable speed also comes in handy for delicate cuts. Ive tried various blades but still think genuine fein blades are best in terms of longevity and sharpness.

If I could only keep one multi tool, I'd keep this and chuck out the fein. I wish id bought one sooner !!

The light surprisingly also comes in handy ;)

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I agree with everything Coley says. Tho I tend to buy cheaper blades in bulk and just toss them away sooner.

I bought the Makita. I used it for adapting mortises in a standing building (ie I had poor access) and this was in very hard oak. I returned the tool after 2 days because I found that it set up an uncomfortable vibration through my arm. I replaced it with the current model of Fein multimaster with the quick release tool change and find that far better.

Personally I would not take much notice of the light. In a tight spot where I can't get a site light to deal with it, a head torch (as used by cavers etc) is much better as I can control the light independently of the tool.

Hand Arm Vibration, HAV should be of very serious concern to all of us who use tools of any kind, do a google search on "Vibration White Finger" it may shock you how prevalent it is.

I have Osteoarthritis and a Carpal tunnel problem in both of my hands so can't use tools for very long anyway, but the Fein Multimaster with quick release tool change I find causes less stress than any other Multi tool, should have bought the best first, I would then not have others lying around unused.

Mike

I had one of these, like you I have other Makita stuff so only needed the bare tool, I found the vibration excessive also. I haven't got a lot of experience of the other brands so it's hard to compare. The tool is now broken. The little wishbone part in the head that moves the blades from side to side shattered. I think when I come to replace it I will go for a fein.

I have the cordless makita multi tool. I don't have any issues with the vibration, but I do wish I had purchased the cordless one. The one I have seems to struggle under load, and then the safety feature cuts it out and you have to wait a couple seconds to switch it back on.

It's great for medium duty work, if a little large and heavy.

MrDavidRoberts":amkorqis said:
Good day everyone,
I think I have narrowed down the choice to Makita DTM50z model as I already have batteries/charger and other makita tools, was just wondering if anyone got one of these tools and could maybe give a quick review on how good is the makita unit and is it a nice quality tool overall? At the moment I only have Lidl parkside multitool but it's a very bad quality tool -not sure why I even bought it, I used to have a Bosch GOP 10.8v as well in past which I really loved but I don't have that anymore.

As mentioned just buy a Fein and be done with it. Original and best. I have the cheapest one and it is excellent.

Bodgers":9eov6654 said:
MrDavidRoberts":9eov6654 said:
Good day everyone,

As mentioned just buy a Fein and be done with it. Original and best. I have the cheapest one and it is excellent.

Sir, I'm after a cordless one.

Bodgers":3i0gnlte said:
There are Fein cordless tools.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
but at what cost.. I have makita batteries/chargers and other makita tools, makes no sense at least to me to wander in another brand teritory when you just want 1 tool :)
It's just a multitool after all, jack of all trades-master of none and it isn't even close to a price of bare makita unit so that's a no-no for me.
cheers

Then why are you asking the question in the first place if you have already made up your mind? Two people have told you it vibrates excessively, you have recommendations now make up your own mind.

Mike

Went ahead and ordered the makita dtm50z , powertoolworld site had some small xmas sale today so it came out to only £74 after some quidco cashback.
To be honest I thought the vibration on my bosch gop unit was pretty bad, but than again it's an oscillating multi-tool and that's what it does.. Either way got 14days to test it out and send it back if I don't like it.
I had a look at B&Q at a makita corded unit which looked similar and build quality seemed rather good, will see will see once it arrives...

Bodgers":2wkn8x8k said:
Confirmation bias at work!

Sent from my MI 3W using Tapatalk

In what way Sir? I was just not ready to spend anything much more than that on a multi-tool, I just use it mainly as a small detail sander from time to time and to cut out some electric boxes in plasterboard/ and some skirting board cutting so very rarely used tool.
Just wanted to hear some feedback from someone who has used one.

MrDavidRoberts":3ha9uel6 said:
Bodgers":3ha9uel6 said:
Confirmation bias at work!

In what way Sir? I was just not ready to spend anything much more than that on a multi-tool, I just use it mainly as a small detail sander from time to time and to cut out some electric boxes in plasterboard/ and some skirting board cutting so very rarely used tool.
Post #12

A few people have said they find the vibration an issue, a few people have been more than happy with the makita.
I don't think he's biased by making his own mind up (as instructed to) based on what people have said.
Can we leave the baiting for an argument atleast till boxing day please

Coley

MrDavidRoberts":3jxbi04e said:
I was just not ready to spend anything much more than that on a multi-tool, I just use it mainly as a small detail sander from time to time and to cut out some electric boxes in plasterboard/ and some skirting board cutting so very rarely used tool.
If that's all you need it for, I'm sure you'll be more than happy with it. I've got loads of the makita li-ion tools. It's a real blessing having one battery type for all your tools. Since having the makita cordless, the fein rarely........actually I can't remember the last time I used the corded fein! I always intended to use it for when I needed to use a multitool alot. The convenience and performance of the cordless however usually makes it not worth plugging in.
Enjoy
Coley

As a Fein fanboy I have to admit the convenience of a battery powered multitool would possibly sway the argument for me also.

Mike

Received it today, and here's my quick review VS the bosch 10.8v Gop Unit I used to have.
Negatives:
It weighs a ton, about 2.1kg with a battery and you can definitely feel it
-the battery has a weird location on it so it's not practical to hold the tool in hands at all times.
I think those are the negatives I can think of,

however the build quality of this seems excellent, built like a tank!
-has a nice light on it
-it's actually less noisier than the 10.8v bosch gop one at least when it's not under load!
-feels more precise , the gop unit was all around, wobling everywhere etc.
-I think it has LESS vibration as well than the bosch one, since some people mentioned as one of its problems.
-cuts MUCH faster than the bosch unit even with a worn blade it actually cuts rather nice, where as in the bosch unit it strugled to even make a mark with the exact same worn blade.

Most of the time I used my old bosch multitool as a delta sander, I think I will have troubles using it for this as its such a heavy brick.
If they could make a brushless, lighter version of this with a better battery layout this would be perfect.

Back