Makita DRT50ZX4 or Makita DRT50ZJ

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Milne

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been thinking about a battery driven router and had (I thought) settled on the Makita. However, when I start looking online I see that there are two models - the DRT50ZX4 and the DRT50ZJ. On the Amazon webpage, the 'J' is described as having a brushless motor, whereas no mention is made of this in relation to the 'X4'. Are these essentially the same router? Is the 'X4' a newer verion of the 'J'? The prices seem similar.

Also - batteries ... you know the question .... do I need to buy the Makita ones or are the clones just as good?

Thanks.

DRT50 is the tool itself, the ZX4 or ZJ are the accompanying parts.

ZX4 = Bare tool in a cardboard box
ZJ = Bare tool in a Makpak
ZJX3 = Bare tool in a Makpak with all extra bases
RMJX2: Tool in a Makpak with all the extra bases, a battery and a charger.

It's obvious when you think about it ;)

I always find Makita product codes hard to remember despite most of my battery stuff coming from them. I know "Z" is a bare tool and that's about it.

I must admit that I’ve always stuck to the genuine Makita batteries, if you keep an eye out on various sales you can get the 5Ah ones for just under £50. There are so many horror stories of lithium ion batteries catching on fire that I don’t think it’s worth the risk.

Richard

RichardG":3mf6eveu said:
I must admit that I’ve always stuck to the genuine Makita batteries ... There are so many horror stories of lithium ion batteries catching on fire that I don’t think it’s worth the risk.
True. I've gone ahead and ordered it with two genuine Makita batteries. I just wonder whether, as with so many things, the thing is put together by the same guy in the same factory.

Steve Milne":1vq5axb0 said:
I just wonder whether, as with so many things, the thing is put together by the same guy in the same factory.

I believe the Makita batteries are made in their own factory in Japan, whilst the knock-offs are made in some unknown factory in China. I don't think I've seen any Makita gear that had "Made in China" on it.

RichardG":1v106ldw said:
I must admit that I’ve always stuck to the genuine Makita batteries, if you keep an eye out on various sales you can get the 5Ah ones for just under £50. There are so many horror stories of lithium ion batteries catching on fire that I don’t think it’s worth the risk.

Richard

With the advent of Lithium Polymer (soft case) batteries the fire risk was quite high, but the modern Lithium Ion (hard case) this has almost been eliminated, most case's of fire was down to using an incorrect charger for the chemistry or an incorrect setting on the charger/charging twice.

Personally I still don’t think it’s worth the risk. I’ve seen first hand the issues that “copy” parts like lightbulbs, power supplies and batteries from eBay cause. Indeed, the company I retired from had eBay sellers closed down for the so called CE approved items that were not only a death trap but also caused interference to their house and their neighbours.

It's amazing how many Chinese electronics don't have a fuse in the plug, I really cannot see how you can be allowed to sell something in this country that unsafe. I've even seen a couple of those "power towers" which have 16 sockets on them but no fuse in the plug, it wasn't even possible to have a fuse in the plug as there was absolutely no room at all for one.

31v9%2BH7EknL._SY450_.jpg

Once I’d seen first hand how poor much of the Imported parts are I stopped buying anything electrical from eBay and Amazon unless it’s from a proper seller, ie. Axminster, FFX etc. I have dismantled a copied battery pack and although it looked ok and had branded Samsung batteries, the air path for cooling was blocked and the safety temperature circuit was missing!

It’s such a shame as there are genuinely good copies but it’s impossible to know which ones they are.

I purchased the Makita battery router a few months back.

I’m actually use it more than I thought.

I bought the bare tool in MacPak case and added the plunge base, two 5Ah batteries and a charger.

The 5Ah batteries last well but take ages to charge.

Powertoolworld has an offer on batteries this week.

Back