makita drill help please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sunnybob

wysiwyg
Reaction score
My wonderful makita 18 volt drill has finally caused me hassle, after 10 trouble free years. i really dont want to have to buy another so can anyone help.
the chuck has seized, with a screw bit in it. The black plastic grip is now undoing a couple turns from the chuck body and then just spinning.

I've tried jarring the bit in forwards and reverse. I've tried hitting the bit with a hammer to shock it down. I've even tried supergluing the black plastic grip back down tight. But after a lot of pressure, the glue broke free before the chuck could move. Any ideas short of binning it? please?

Mmm without undoing the screw inside the chuck you won't be able to remove the chuck.
I would use a slide hammer to pull the bit out after welding something on to the end of it to fit the slide hammer.
My slide hammer is a length of 1/2" bar with a lump of steel with a hole in it wouldn't win any prizes but it works and has got me out of many a tight spot, axe wedges, stuck brake pistons, etc.

Pete

Once you get the screw out (LH thread) you need to unscrew the chuck, an Allen key clamped in the chuck and whacked on the end will loosen it.

Pete

At the expense of the chuck an angle grinder could be used to cut it apart to release the chuck dogs and expose the lock screw.

It hasnt gone exactly to plan.

I dont have a slide hammer, and am very busy with other stuff to start welding one up, so I whacked the screwdriver bit with a club hammer, hoping to jar the jaws loose.

OOPS.
The jaws opened enough to let the bit out, the black outer casing fell off. The chrome rotating rim at the front went across the garage, along with its circlip. Theres a tiny ball bearing race that I need to find the home of.
The jaws are now in plain view but STILL jammed.

I've left it all soaked in wd 40 untill I have more time to spend.
Slowly slowly catchee monkey.

Can you see down the centre of the chuck now? As long as you can reach in and undo the screw at the bottom of the chuck (LH as mentioned in an earlier post) then you should be able to remove the chuck and purchase a new one. The thread of the chuck to the drill will be a RH thread.

Sorted!
Didnt need to take the chuck off. Once you remove the circlip in front of the chrome rotating ring the black grip comes straight off. took the three jaws apart and cleaned everything. Put it all back and we're good to go.

Back