Makita BHP451 vs Milwaukee C18PD

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Triggaaar

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to choose between these two combi drills. I actually only need a drill driver, but the equivalent models (BDF451 and C18 DD) are more expensive. I have Bosch 10.8 drill/driver and impact, so just after something more powerful for bigger jobs/quieter driving etc.

They're both about the same price, similar power, 4 pole motors, metal gears etc. The Milwaukee is a bit shorter and I think a bit lighter (never easy to trust online figures).

The Makita is popular, and has 24/24 good reviews on screwfix, but I've seen several comments of the chuck failing after a couple of years.
I don't think I've ever heard a bad comment about Milwaukee drills.

Any advice on choosing between these?
Thanks

Don't trust Screwfix reviews - the cheapo biscuit jointer I bought (and returned the next day) was rated 5 star yet was one of the worst tools I've had the misfortune to try.

I can't comment on those drills, though Makita make good stuff, and Milwaukee have a strong following over in the US.

Do you intend to buy into their cordless tool-only ranges at some point in the future? I ask this because Makita have more choice than Milwaukee, so may sway your decision if you go down this route.

Mark

Uodate:
I've managed to take a look at both. I thought they were similar power, but manufacturers report torque in different ways, so it's misleading. In fact the Makita is bigger and more powerful, and actually more comparable with the bigger Milwaukee, the HD18 PD.

Also, talk of a poor chuck on the Makita either doesn't apply to that particular model, or it applies to the Milwaukee too, as the Makita has the same chuck as the HD18 (not simliar, but same, from same manufacturer). Cheaper Makitas don't have the same chuck, so they may not be as strong.

I thought you could register the Makitas for a 3 year warranty, but I'm guessing I was wrong. I'll check, but that would be a handy advantage for the Milwaukee. - ok, I've checked. You can register for 3 years (1 year for battery and charger). Shop assistant (who knew his stuff) got that wrong.
Finally, the batteries on the Milwaukee are apparently better.

mark aspin":2c7yhlfd said:
Do you intend to buy into their cordless tool-only ranges at some point in the future? I ask this because Makita have more choice than Milwaukee, so may sway your decision if you go down this route.
Thanks for the reply Mark. The only other tool I can see myself going for is the impact drill. I don't need cordless for circular saws etc, and I prefer corded for that sort of high power demand tool anyway.

A lot of my mates have been complaining that Makita stuff is not as good as it used to be.
I have had a Milwaukee drill/driver and was very happy with it and am buying Milwaukee more now. Just brought their knew circular saw and am very impressed with the power, comfort during use.The best saw I have brought. Don't be put off that Ryobi now own Milwaukee.
I would go with red over blue now. :D

Back