Makita benchtop thicknesser dust collection issue

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
tiki I take it you are aware of Bill Pentz's site has a spreadsheet that draws up the flat pattern for a cyclone.
http://billpentz.com/woodworking/cyclone/cyclone_plan.php
Pete
Thank you very much Pete, it will be an interesting reading as I used to work in a HVAC manufacturing company as a CAD engineer. I just want to build a separator, I have a 60l plastic barrel where I would like to have two openings. And I would like to use some fittings to create the required airflow inside. It might not be as good as a cyclone, but I hope it can be done.

Some DYI version of this, as they are no longer in production, but bigger size, as this one is only 20 l
1651340408988.png

Very nice setup. Do your neighbors complain about the noise if you plane outside for a few hours?

I am now going to build my own dust separator, as I ordered 3 of them and I got a reply that none of them are unfortunately available.
Thanks-Well I get on with my neighbors and often help them out so I’m definitely on their Xmas card list- they also get homegrown tomatoes and cucumbers etc , however I keep it sensible not too early am and not too late , planing the sapele was louder of course than soft wood so switched to the table saw too speed the job up . I get a decent finish with my t/s So all in all job done .

Then what you are after is a Thien baffle. J. Phil Thien's Cyclone Separator Lid w/ the Thien Cyclone Separator Baffle Simple to build but 2 or more times the internal drag compared tot eh Pentz cyclones. Not as big an issue in a high pressure low volume shop vac type of installation but more important in a high volume low pressure system.

Pete
Hi Pete, yes it looks promising, i can build the baffle from plywood and hold it to the lid by 3 threaded rods. Can i use unequal diameters, so that the inlet port will be 75 mm and outlet port will be 40 mm to the vac? I am just afraid if the baffle will not block material from falling down due to low airflow volume of my shop vac compared to hvlp systems.

Adding any separator will add more drag to the system and reduce the flow. Same goes for long hoses especially if it is heavily corrugated. If the "sucker" is marginal everything added makes it worse.

Pete

Adding any separator will add more drag to the system and reduce the flow. Same goes for long hoses especially if it is heavily corrugated. If the "sucker" is marginal everything added makes it worse.

Pete
I have concluded that the best way will be to buy a proper cyclone on the top of my barrel and a vacuum valve that will prevent the barrel from collapsing.

Back