Makita 9404 Belt Sander - Broken but repaired

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hudson Carpentry

Established Member
Reaction score
This broken today and im not sure its was the best way they could have built the parts that broke. Also not impressed with the warranty.

Now I thought that like Bosch blue you get a 3 year warranty with Makita gear. I brought this in sep 2010 yet after ringing they said you only get 12 months :evil:

Anyhow it was the rubber drive rollers drive that broken. The nut that keeps this on is also the nut that turns the roller, so the thread on the nut and spindle takes all the strain and this is just what has given up, the thread in the nut has grinded smooth along with some of the thread on the spindle. Now if it was me I would have made the part of the spindle that drives the roller sqaure which fits into a square socket on the roller and then either a sur-clip or wide pan head machine screw into the end to keep the roller on.

I should have taken pictures before I repaired. I have fixed by drilling a hole through the roller and spindle and putting a pin through (think slit pin type of thing).

Saying that, I would still buy a new one as its a great belt sander and after realising how much I and others reply on this tool I think im in the market for a back up. don't wish to pay another £200 for one thats not going to be used but one that uses the same belt size (610x100mm) and is maybe light would be handy. Any recommendations?

Just my 2p. Perhaps try the Hitachi SB110. Best belt sander I ever had. Bit of a beast though. In spite of the bumpf it will take a 100mm wide belt. Not what I'd call a back up machine though, although they do turn up on ebay very cheap from time to time. I use mine to edge floors after using the trolley sander thingy.
HTH

Neil

Back