Makita 6280 Drill-driver

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LyNx

Established Member
Reaction score
I have to replace my cheap £13 cordless and am looking at the makita 14.4v 6280 for £105 with 3 batteries and 100 piece drill set. As it's got the 30 minute charger i'm going to get a second body only and then purchase a few more bodies next month.
I had a look and feel of this yesterday and i noticed how small it seems compared to older models. It must be upto the job but just wanted to know first hand. Is anyone using this drill and tried it with screws and gerenal workshop drilling.

Andy

Andy,
i havent used the 14.4v version, but i do own a 12v, it came free when i bought a 8 series drill, compared to the 8 series it does lack the torque and general power compared to the 8 series, but it is a useful drill to have.
hope this helps

Matt

I bought this version a couple of months ago, except that it was only £95 then 8). Its a really nice drill/driver for the price. I have a Metabo BST12 as well, and I much prefer the Makita. In particular it is MUCH better as a drill. The only thing which is better on the Metabo is the chuck, it is the one-piece type rather than the two-piece on the Makita. They both have 1/2 hour chargers, but the Makita actually takes about 25 mins, and the Metabo 40!

You're right about how small it is:

makita-metabo.jpg

In fact its only about 1" longer than the Metabo Powermaxx screwdriver.

Cheers,
Neil

looks like it's a 'liked' drill/driver. I think this model will suit my needs and the cost is pretty good. I just hate having to swap from pilot, to clearance, to screwdriver bit and what a drill for each :D

6280 it is then

Andy

Buy a drill in a range that includes an impact driver, would be my suggestion. Incomparably better for screwdriving. Then a drill/driver body for the drilling/countersinking etc.

I have an Elu impact driver and a Dewalt (*spit*) drill/driver because they take the same batteries. I would never even think of using the drill for driving.

silly question ,but why not use a drill for driving. The 6280 has an impact in the range but it's £150 for the body only and thats another 4 bodies of the 6280. I don't like to use the driver for final "tightening" of the screws as i do this by hand, just an old habit i have.

Andy

LyNx":379mbnss said:
I don't like to use the driver for final "tightening" of the screws as i do this by hand, just an old habit i have.

Andy

ha ha ha :lol: :lol:

I just do not see me doing that on my 1500 screws i used on my decking :roll: ha ha ha :wink:

why not, i did!!!! and pre-drilled and countsunk all the holes - 1847 screws :roll:

All I can say is try one, they are worth every penny.

They are much more powerful, far more controllable, and don't try to twist your wrist off at the same time.

sorry to throw a spanner in the works but I have not been impressed with my makita 6280 drill/driver. Sounds bizarre but it's not a scratch on my old faithful Black abd Decker drill/driver. It just doesn't seem to have the same 'uumph'.

Not much of a technical explanation i know, :oops: :roll: :wink:

i'll second the impact driver idea, i bought the hitachi version for a decking job and it made such light work of it, now just to find a place that sells the body cheap to go with my 12v makita range!

I have just purchased a 12v 6270 with 3 batteries and an impact driver for a £160.
I know that this is not the model that you are looking at but I have been very impressed so far.
The size - Yes it is small, alot smaller than my 12v Dewalt drill driver.
Weight - A lot lighter than I am used to and expected.
Impact driver - If you need more uumph then you realy shouldn't be driving that size of screw into that particular material.(without a pilot)

The only downside is that the drill speed is not all that fast compared to a 12v drill / driver - maybee the 14v is OK

Back