Makita 2012NB 12in Thicknesser available in January

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newbie_Neil

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all

The Makita 2012NB thicknesser is available in January at toolshopdirect for 399GBP. As these are US reviews I have changed planar to thicknesser.

Amazon.com review
Arguably the best portable model on the market. To best minimize snipe, Makita came up with an innovative four-column design and fortified it with diagonal cross supports to stabilize the cutterhead while the patented Interna-Lok cutterhead depth adjustment secures the head while cutting. We particularly like how easy it is to adjust the depth scale and gauge. The depth stop makes sure you never overplane multiple pieces. The infeed and outfeed tables are supersized - another little perk we liked. Often, changing planer knives is an ordeal, but Makita's quick-change system and externally accessible brushes minimize your maintenance time and get you back to what you really love doing. The unit is relatively lightweight as these machines go, and at 83 decibels, is among the quietest of its kind. Still, please use ear protection when you're using this little beauty.

Customer review 1.
I wrote a very favorable review of the Makita 2012 NB Thicknesser last January when I first used mine. In the review I said I would follow up after one year and give a progress report. The machine is really outstanding. I have no trouble completely preventing snipe by just keeping the last few passes very light. Changing the blades is simplicity itself. With the optional dust chute installed, the mess is reasonably well controled (My wife appreciates that). With other newer models coming on the market from competitors, this is still close to perfection and deserves a serious look if you are in the market for a portable thicknesser.

Customer review 2
I am a profesional remodeler and in the past five years I have burnt out three Delta thicknessers. Twice, the feed rollers gave up and the last one appaently suffered a major internal failure. I have had the Makita now for two months and it has been flawless as I would expect. We plane some tough stuff like Ipe so we definitely give these things a workout. If it is still flawless in a year, I will give it a fifth star. I appretiate the ergonomics of this well, thought out machine. I am glad that Makita has eliminated a cutterhead lock. I personally could care less about "snipe", of which this machine creates very little. We plane long and then cut to size on the miter saw. Don't you? I do have one question ..., is there any reason why I can't buy replacement blades online?

Two years on
Okay, so I'm a year late, this is one VERY good thicknesser! It continues to perform like new, with only blade changes. I have it hooked up in my shop and have run hundreds of feet of maple, pine, poplar, Ipe, oak, even plywood and MDF. It just does its thing. Very uneventful, I like that. That's what I pay for. The only downside is that it makes justifying a 15" Powermatic thicknesser difficult!

Don't you just love makita tools? :lol:

Cheers
Neil

Can't wait. Might be a product I'll consider reviewing in 2004.

Makita stuff is excellent, i've had more experience with their hand power-tools as opposed to machines.

Shame we don't have the selection they do in the USA (what a change!) :(

Oddly enough, James, there are people in the USA who look at the European market and say the same thing. Funny old world!

Scrit

Back