Making your own scroll saw on a budget

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I need a hug , I thought I was a cheap old git , not so much anymore. I have been guilty of some frightening bodge jobs and now think , oh well that's not so bad. My stuff seems bloody near proffesional. Now I just need to show this to my wife as she needs to be aware that I'm not the only "mad scientist on a budget" around.

LOL Brilliant! ya can't beat crackpots like him........ can you imagine if Norm off New Yankee Workshop made one.... he'd use $$$$$$$$$ of exotic hardwoods and use $$$$$$$$$$ of fancy tools to build it. I like to watch the "The Salvager" on TV similar sort of bloke.

That was brilliant!!!!! sometimes it's good to see people who are bigger loons than yourself. Now, I must ring Hegner, cancel the new saw and look for an old broken pallet....
Thanks Martin, best ten minutes of my day
Regards
Brendan

What's an "idge" and a "binch?" :p

I love the way he marked up "centre" on the pieces of wood and then ignored it and drilled through the nail hole that was already there. lol

Mickey taking aside, I do love people that have the spirit to create and actually use gizmos like this. I know if I didn't have the luxury of an electric scrollsaw I simply wouldn't bother with the craft at all, so fair play to the guy for making the most of what he has to hand.

Whilst I admire this guy's ability to upcycle the most rubbish bits of wood and scrappy nails I have seen I am so glad I bought my scroll saw!

Well I thought I was a scrimper but even I would not have used scrappy wood like that for such a project! FWIW I had a mate (sadly passed away now) who seeing my saw decided to make his own out of scrap metal and used an old spin-dryer motor to power it, actually worked quite well. He was 80 yrs old when he made it BTW.

@Martinka:

Thanks so much for posting that, I thought I was a bodger but that bloke takes the biscuit!

Only thing I couldn't/still can't work out is if the bloke (clearly a Kiwi BTW, hence the "funny" Inglish) was actually seriously suggesting this saw as a project for someone to make, or if he was simply pulling all our legs?

I've been unavoidably away from this place for a bit and that was a brilliant welcome back, thanks again.

Krgds
AES

At least it is not an import from the far east. and has everything the newcomer to scrolling could wish for, Variable speed, tension control at the front and even comes with a foot switch.

Back