Making windows

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stewart

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello all
My next workshop project is to put in a window so I can work in daylight! I've been quoted a huge price for a garage window by a local double glazing firm so I'm exploring the option of making one myself. Can anyone pass on any advice about making windows - i've tried to find stuff on the web about designs and hinges but have drawn a blank so far.
thanks
stewart

I've built a few so maybe able to offer a few suggestions - what do you need to know?

(As you probably know there are building regs regarding d/glazing and installing windows in your home.)

thanks, Manny
As the window is for a separate garage are there still b regs to follow?
As to what i want to know, here goes:
should the sill be separate to the window frame? if so, should the frame sit on top of the sill?
what is the best way of hinging an opening window into the frame?
how deep should the rebates be for the glass? finances will probably dictate single glazing but when money allows I'd like to change it to double glazing?

sorry, didn't sign off last message as i was interrupted and pressed the wrong button!
thanks for your time and help, manny.

Stewart

Stewart

Do garage windows need FENSA information?

When fitted into an unheated area, which is not part of the house, the windows need not comply with the Building Regulations Approved Document L. However, you may decide to standardise your product range and the information supplied with all windows, in order to reduce variations and specials.

Taken from http://www.fensa.co.uk/faqtech.html

Roger

Why not have a look in your local free ads paper. I've seen some double glazed units very cheap.

Unless you really want to do it for the challenge, why not buy a window off Ebay for less than the cost of the timber, and save your time for a more interesting project?

good advice, i guess - i didn't realise they did windows on ebay!
i'll have a look
thanks
stewart

Hey Stew, I recently fitted 2 upvc double glazed windows in my workshop. I rang all the local window installers and asked them if they had any mis-measures. 1 cost £25 and the other £50, both fully glazed and one was frosted pilkington glass with the top part opening. Oh and they both came with PVC sills.

thanks for the further advice.
i'll get on the phone in the morning.
cheers
stewart

Do you ladies & gentlemen REALLY have to follow some regulations when putting in a simple window. I can't hardly believe that.. You have my sympathy. I sure would like to know the rational behind all the regulations you guys have to follow.

SlimShavings":2i1rwlya said:
Do you ladies & gentlemen REALLY have to follow some regulations when putting in a simple window. I can't hardly believe that.. You have my sympathy. I sure would like to know the rational behind all the regulations you guys have to follow.

Slim,

The rationale is dead simple. It is to justify all the salaries of the w****rs who are paid by our inordinately high taxes :cry:

Well actually it is to ensure that the windows we put in are energy efficient, as part of our Kyoto commitments to try to stop global warming.

That will probably explain why you have no such regulations, as well.

Jake,
That sounds almost biblical - I love it and wish it were true!

Actually, I have no real evidence it isn't true except a very long winded ( I almost said windowed!) story about a loo I wanted to install. It literally made me laugh and cry at the same time but suffice it to say that the said loo would have saved a lot of water and yet it was rejected by the jobsworths on account of it being against regulations. The conversation we had with those idiots almost made me sign up for terrorist courses.

SlimShavings":6uykdxbq said:

Within the context of a dwelling, light/roomsize, heat loss, fire escape (DG is difficult to shatter), and glass safety come into play.

In a home workshop I would think only Glass Safety would be applicable if it is adjacent to a footpath where a person (children in particular) may fall against it and shatter the glass. (toughened glass is a requirement within a certain height of ground level adjacent to doors and footpaths in new or modified builds)

If you had seen a child with a partially severed arm, caused by falling against a non toughened window you would see the need.

Only energy efficiency applies to replacement windows though, the other factors are only applied if the window is a new window rather than a replacement for an existing window.

Oh Chris, I'm sure the regulations are mangled into unrecognisable bureaucratic tangles by the administrators. But that isn't why they are there, just an unfortunate side-effect.

And yes, part L is all about Kyoto. Better off banning SUVs and other gas guzzlers of course, but that's freedom for you.

Back