Making teeny tiny frames

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WonderWoman

Established Member
Reaction score
I bought some 3mm balsa wood to make some frames, about 1cm wide frame, the overall thing 5cmx6cm.

I tried to cut out a fram last night but the wood either snapped as I was sawing, or the edges wernt straight or because it was such a small pice of wood I couldnt clamp it properly.

Any hints or any idea where I can get small frames from?

Thanks

What type of saw are you using? Balsa that thin will need something like a fine jewellers saw or a Xacto modellers saw, methinks.

Scrit

balsa...takes me back modelmaking in my youth. Best way to cut is with a straight edge and a craft knife.

Tom

How about a ruler and a scalpal.

Very good suggestion, never thought of that!!!There was me over complicating things!!

I was using a drill to make holes inside frame then a coping saw with a fine blade.
Even my outside staright lines were abizmal!

Il give the scalpel/straight edge thing s go now.
Thanks.

Oh my god, how easy was that!!

Worshipfullness and adoration is flying all your ways.Thank you so much.Its a big weight off my mind, if a craft project incorporating balsa wood could ever be a burden.

Thanks for your help!!

WonderWoman":17v0ksvc said:
Il give the scalpel/straight edge thing s go now.
Thanks.

Careful with scalpels - they aren't really designed to to cut through wood- the blade is too flexible. This means its likely to snap and "ping" off, and/or the pressure you have to apply and a slip and well....... well at least its normally a good clean cut right to the bone as someone I know had happen to them - and spent the rest of the day in A&E.

Something like a stanley knife would be better, if you are going to persure that option.

Adam

Haha, I was also thinking that as the blad moved closer to my hand!

I shall purchase a stanley knife, thanks.

How's about the intermediate step - an Xacto craft knife. Scalpel-type blade with a craft knife handle - and they even use the fine saw blades :lol:

Scrit

Well done, give yourself a treat!!

Annoyingly was just in town and had every intention to buy a stanley knife but I managed to find a sequin belt I wanted and totally forgot the knife!!

Ive tried but sadlt the belt doesnt cut as well as a knife.

I have just fashioned a sanding blck from some sand paper and a small rectangular wood shape I have in all my crafty stuff, so I can smooth the edges of my majestic frame creations.

Watch out Jesus, theres a new woodworker on the block.

I use a set of mitre shears for small mouldings , you can move the fence to get your angle and just snip .

Latest posts

Back