Making pine shaker kitchen doors

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olivetree

Established Member
Reaction score
Evening all,

A customer has asked me to make him some shaker doors using reclaimed pine, what is the best way to construct them??

I was think about making the stiles from old reclaimed pine beams then routing a groove in which i can slot some veneered pine board to make the centre panel.

I was going to domino, glue and clamp the doors, is this good enough? again open to ideas on this.

Finally i was going to finish the doors with a 5% clear lacquer.

Would i be best making end panels from 18mm veneered board?

I look forward to the replies.

reclaimed pine is quite fun but I doubt they are going to want mdf in their reclaimed pine kitchen so why not just join some up to make the panels. used to make boxes out of the reclaimed timber and i'd recommend some old blades if you're going to clean it yourself and a dust mask, some of it is disgusting. Sensible people probably also use a metal detector. Not really sure what a shaker kitchen cupboard looks like but I have three shaker shop drawing books, I suspect something like a flat 3/8 ths panel in a rectangular frame, angular but precise.

ukw10.jpg
ukw12.jpg

Attachments

• ukw12.jpg
    ukw12.jpg
    162.6 KB · Views: 205
  • ukw10.jpg
    ukw10.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 249
I have been making some today.

By using domino's which would be strong enough, you are more than likely making more work for yourself.

Depending on door size thickness etc I would just m&t but using the same grove cut for the centre panel. The way I do them and it literaly takes 10min per door if that (excluding gluing up the centre panel). Cut the rails and styles to size making sure you cut the rails longer then required for the tenons. For me today on doors thats only 20mm thick and 520x360mm I made the rails 30mm longer for 15mm tennons. Then use a saw of some sort (radial for me but SCMS, cross cutting sledge or bandsaw but don't forget hand cutting) to cut the tenons. Use a table saw or router table to cut a grove/mortise the same depth to the length of the tenon the full length of both rails and styles. In my case this was 15mm deep and 8mm wide and I used a TS. Now size your panel and bevel the edges to fit if its not board material, glue and assemble.

Reclaimed pine if thats what the customer wants. If there to be painted 6-9mm MDF (I assume we are talking about kitchen cupboard doors so rails and styles no thicker than 22mm.

Back