Making mouldings - spindle moulder - safety police skip this post!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deema

Established Member
Reaction score
Well, I’m bored! Kids came home for Xmad, we gave them Christmas dinner and presents, they gave me Covid! So, so far luckily, same symtoms as a cold….but it’s giving me time to look at uTube.
I thought this was interesting, nice guy, has a few videos up there. Now, there are safer ways of doing the jobs, but it shows the capability of a spindle.

Last edited:
He's done a good job, for me personally I'd grind cutters. The only reason being that I hate multi cuts as invariably one will go wrong, or you miss a cut or the guy comes back next week and askes for 4 more ft please.

Now, there are safer ways of doing the jobs

The methods used are pretty much the way all joinery shops would set up and run a spindle moulder. It all looked safe to me - Euro profile block with limiters, power feed to run. Trial cuts alway look a bit dodgy, but are fine if the piece of wood is long enough so it always extends past the indeed fence and gives plenty of hand space to grip it

I know some would argue false fences should be used for every cut - but joinery shops generally use the metal fence plates and adjust them so they are close. You get a wiggle at the end, but that’s easily sorted by doing them over length.

Ive not used a tilting spindle so it’s interesting to see the flexibility that gives you.

In my experience the set up cost and run cost of multiple cuts to make a mould is more than buying a profile ground set of cutters.…in line really with Bobs comment

Last edited:
Back