Making miniature tools, advice needed

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tawnyman

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I've taken on a project to make somebody some miniature versions of medieval building tools - a plumb level and a set square probably. They'll be used in a local museum for making miniature buildings out of real, miniature bricks. I think the tools will need to be about 5 "to 6" long, so we're talking about 1/2 to 3/4" thick. Most of my woodworking has been with pine and the odd bit of beech, so I'm looking for some suggestions as to materials to use, would beech (European) be a reasonable choice? Being medieval there won't be any screws involved so I'm probably looking at dowel and half-lap joints. Any thoughts on all this would be very welcome. Thanks, Julian

Julian
If you give us a clue where you live I bet someone will have suitable beech off cuts.
I certainly have a box full that would do the job.

Thanks guys, yes I live near Reading so any offers of suitable wood would be very welcome! I'll have to start drawing up some plans. This is an example of a modern repro A-frame level, the plumb bob would be used to see if the top of the wall is level, presumably both horizontally and vertically.

A-level.jpg

Actually, thinking about it, this would be used for just horizontal levelling, I doubt the foot of this would be thick enough to measure vertical straightness.

Latest posts

Back