Making leather infill panels to fit oak furniture frames

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

I would like to make some mdf or similar, leather covered infill panels for the sides and back of a settee under construction. Does anyone have experience of gluing leather to this type of surface, best glues and methods etc. Should the leather be stretched and pinned while the glue cures? I would appreciate any help.
Thanks'
John.

Welcome to the forum, John, there are quite a few Johns here, but I'm the best looking one.
I would be inclined to use pva, and secure the leather with a decent staple gun while the glue sets. MDF can be a bit hard for staples to penetrate, some medium quality plywood might be a good alternative. The staple gun is desirable because you can use it with one hand, while you tension the material with the other
John

I have successfully used contact cement for leather on wood in the past although I have not been trying for a very "tight" result needing a lot of stretching. My impression is that this is the usual glue for attaching leather skivers to desktops

Welcome to the forum.

I can't help with your question I'm afraid, perhaps Norman or one of the furniture restorers may be able to help?

Adam

Hi John

welcome to the group.

leather for desk tops are usualy fixed with either strong wallpapper past or as I prefer thin pva glue, I also use pva for the leather in writing boxes. Nevver found that I needed staples etc. pva the ground then apply leather and smooth from the centure with the side of the hand to take out any folds a bit like wallpapering.
Regards
Norman

Thanks to everyone for your help with the above. I shall follow your advice on the understanding that If it all goes wrong it's your fault.
Thanks,
John

Back