Making Joiners Dogs from The Woodworker Aug 1921

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StraightOffTheArk

Established Member
Reaction score
As we all know, there are many slopes to slide down, and I've found one new to me - 1920's (or thereabouts) volumes of 'The Woodworker'. I really like the writing style, the illustrations and the convenient size (although by 1938 the rot had set in, apart from certain unfortunate developments on the continent and our very own hate monger Oswald Moseley, 'The Woodworker' had increased it's size to one awkward to fit in my favourite bag when travelling - it's a conspiracy I tell you!).

I've learnt a couple of things - 'Gentleman's Rack' is not a euphemism but an unnecessarily complicated clothes stand and smoking addons were the equivalent of cupholders in modern magazines - I must admit disappointment that the 'Smokers Revolving Casket' wasn't designed to facilitate spinning in the grave.

Anyway, I thought I'd scan pages of interest and post them on here when I've nothing better to do in case it interests others.

Cheers,

Carl

PS Interesting that it mentions bench knives in the context of being old-fashioned in 1921

Attachments

• Joiners Dogs.jpg
    Joiners Dogs.jpg
    242.3 KB · Views: 977
+1!
I have a few old volumes of the Woodworker, but not that one, so thanks for sharing. Just the sort of thing I like.
I have a few old dogs and must find something where I can try them out.

If anyone wants an easier way to make some, Paul Sellers offered his method here, cutting them out cold.

https://paulsellers.com/2014/11/making- ... mber-dogs/

Thanks for sharing the article, Carl.
It's amusing how things sometimes evolve.
In the days of Hayward, hide glue was mostly used and joiners dogs were an adequate solution.
Nowadays, manufacturers of PVA glue suggest that unless you apply ~100MPa/mm2 your
glued-up panels will self-destruct. :)

Thanks for the positive replies - Yes, modern glues have rendered quite a few things obsolete, interesting that it was not long ago I saw a blog of Richard Maguire where he was using a bench knife, only to be now told by a 1921 magazine that it was old-fashioned, but OK to use a much more labour intensive joiners dog instead!

Cheerio,

Carl

Also known as pinch dogs - and they are still commercially available! C S Osbourne make some quite posh looking ones, and there are more work-a-day patterns about, too. Some years ago, Bristol Design offered a range of sizes. I'm sure a bit of assiduous rummaging in the by-ways of tool and equipment retail would unearth a few more suppliers, but even Amazon are in on the act!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/pinch-dogs/s?i ... nch%20dogs

Back