Making Huge tennons

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Midnight

Established Member
Reaction score
I've reached the point with this bed project where all the stock prep is done, and I can start making components. Much though I love working with the hand planes, it's fine to be able to put them down for a while. I've started by making the mortices in the legs, following the rule that it's best to make the tennons fit the mortices, however, I'm kinda stuck as to which method is best to make the tennons. The smaller stuff doesn't present much of a prob, but with the main rails for the bed, their size and weight render normal machining processes all but useless. Any suggestions..?

Hi Midnight,
the method I use to make tenons on long and heavy pieces is to lay them flat on the ground, side by side if there are two pieces, clamp a straight guide across them, and then use the router to remove the material, flip them over and do the other side. I then use a tenon saw to remove the haunches? cant think of the right word.
I do tend to only take off the first cm of both sides and trial fit, adjusting the depth of cut accordingly, that way if I do take off too much the whole tenon aint ruined.

Hope that helps

Joe

Expat...
ya know.. that just might do it...

ummmmm... shoulders..??? Haunches tend to be a chunk cut outa the full profile...

Aragon....

the tennons on the side rails need to be massive; the plan is to use through wedges to tighten them to the legs. The end section of the rails measures 38x190mm. I figure the through tennons need to be about 140mm long overall. section of the tennon needs to measure 30x165mm

edit
best clarify the wedge idea.... the wedges should be vertical, parallel with the legs. I'm more than a little paranoid re making the tennon too short and not having enough strength in the remaining material to avoid blowing out the end of the tennon if the wedges are over driven.

Midnight,

with regard to the wedges have you considered using dowels and offsetting the hole in the tenon so as the dowel is hammered in, it pulls the tenon up tight? Ahh forget that, you have already cut through mortices, but it would still work.

Joe

Hi Midnight

I too use a router for large tenons in the same way as expat described - works very well.

Tony

how are you going to get it up the stairs????!!!!

Kostello...

Not my prob... sometimes a back injury can be a good thing.... All I need worry about is gettin it outa the shop, and onto / into the Landrver...

Expat, Tony.. thanks again for the router tip... I've managed to get all the main tennons milled over the last couple of days. I still need to cut the shoulders on the through tennons, but the rest of them fit like a hand in a glove... buggest surprise is that they look half respectable too.... never made this kinda joint before, much less on this scale...

Joe.... that tip re offsetting the dowels sounds like a winner to tighten the blind tennons; thanks again.

Kostello.. re getting the thing moved.. the idea is that the through tennons aren't glued to the legs; they're held only with the wedges allowing the assembly to be broken down into sub assemblies.

All I gotta do now is figure how to make mortices in 165mm stock....

Back