Making hardwood DG sashes - Advice on how to cut rebates

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Blimey Richard! You think the saw is risky?? Last week you were going to tenon and mould everything on a spindle moulder even though you had zero experience with using one?? :LOL:

Not me, I don't have a spindle moulder!

Richard

I've already squared and planed the sticks (sorry, rails, stiles or whatever there're called) ready for rebating.

Richard
Mortices, and tenon cheeks, first, then mouldings and rebates, then tenon shoulders last.

It would be good if you can make your rebates a bit deeper for the DG units, 15mm would be better.

Mortices, and tenon cheeks, first, then mouldings and rebates, then tenon shoulders last.

Just read this. I was going to do rebates first and then mortices and finally the tenons. Watched a guy on Youtube do it this way.

Any problems with this?

Back to looking at doing TS rebates. I like the idea of being able to use the waste as the moulding for the glazing.

Richard

Just read this. I was going to do rebates first and then mortices and finally the tenons. Watched a guy on Youtube do it this way.

Any problems with this?

Richard

No right or wrong way, it all depends what kit you have and how you are doing it.

No right or wrong way, it all depends what kit you have and how you are doing it.
Generally it's easier to mark up everything and cut the mortices and the tenon-cheeks whilst everything is still square, not least because you can still see the marks.
It's easier to strike the rebates and mouldings before the tenon shoulders are cut. Just leaves the tenon shoulders to cut last.
It also helps to have stiles/rails a bit over length ("horns") as long as possible so you have more timber bearing on the fences of your machine or hand tools.
The horns also protect the corners while you bash away at the rest of the job, then as a last thing you also get a very neat finish if you saw/plane off the horns and sticking out tenons very last thing.

Bradshaw Joinery is worth a look on Youtube if you haven't seen him. He does a nice little series on building a casement window, although I'm not a fan of how he cuts the tenons on the table saw.

I need to make a higher fence for my TS to allow the top weatherboards to be clamped. Is was thinking of using 25mm MDF which I've used before for router jigs. Is there anything better?

Richard

I need to make a higher fence for my TS to allow the top weatherboards to be clamped. Is was thinking of using 25mm MDF which I've used before for router jigs. Is there anything better?

Richard
I guess you mean featherboards?
25mm if that's what you've got, but anything will do above about 10mm

I’ve decided to go with the TS method so dug it out from the back of the workshop to set it up and cut some feather boards.

I have to make a higher fence as the Scheppach TS4010 only came with a low ally section. For the featherboards I’m going to make two for the fence; one in front of the blade and one just behind. The one on the table I’m not sure about. I think I should only make a longer one on the infeed side with the end about 25mm in from the blade tip. See attached photo.

Richard
66F9C667-33D0-4A8F-AC63-897415222841.jpeg

Just giving the feather boards more thought and not wanting to jam the blade, would fitting of the side feather boards as attached photo be the best solution. Raising them like this would allow me to put a further one on the outfeed side as the pressure will be applied to above the saw tips. The ones on the I infeed would be fixed to the table.

Richard

96224FCC-6D26-4D19-A7C5-2F7EE63EB680.jpeg

Er. hmm, I see problems here! Maybe go back to plan A and use the router?
Your second cut drawing particularly bad - as shown the thin waste against slot already cut would be springy and the featherboard could push it out of alignment. It would do that anyway at the end of the cut when the waste is no longer supporting the workpiece at all. There'd be a deep nick at the end of each piece, or worse if it got picked up and pulled back in.
Also you have no "safe space" for the waste and it will get flung out like a crossbow bolt
Plan A!

Last edited:
It was why I thought it would be better to space the featherboard up and pushing against the main stock rather than on the slot being cut.

I originally asked you about have the waste on the other side of the blade to provide a safe place for the waste but you were concerned about any wobble would impact into the main section. Do you think this would still be a major problem especially with the featherboards raised?

It was why I thought it would be better to space the featherboard up and pushing against the main stock rather than on the slot being cut.

I originally asked you about have the waste on the other side of the blade to provide a safe place for the waste but you were concerned about any wobble would impact into the main section. Do you think this would still be a major problem especially with the featherboards raised?
Stick with the router! If you do have a go with the TS do a lot of small trial rebates first

OK. Thanks for advice. Need to make some sort of outfeed support for the router table now then.

Richard

I'd certainly be doing this on the saw.
I'd only use a router if saw wasn't available. Way too much dust and noise for my liking.
Swapping the cuts around though (1 for 2 and 2 for 1) and having rebate/waste against sub fence which is sitting above waste height.
No side pressure needed but an additional side batten/guide on the saw bed will keep things lined up nicely on both passes.
Cheers Andy

Just one final thought before I abandon the TS method and work on the Router jigs. What if on the 2nd cut of the rebate I take a kerf width off on the first pass to provide 'safe space' for the waste on the next pass?

Richard

Back